5 Of My Mom's Best Recipes And The Stories Behind Them | The Odyssey Online

5 Of My Mom's Best Recipes And The Stories Behind Them

She loves to cook, and she loves to tell stories; why not bring them together?

28
Emily Vandenbosch

Ever since I was little our kitchen would be warmed by a hot oven and our refrigerator full of baked goods and homemade meals. I did not realize just how special this was until I left home. Now, after returning from college and studying abroad, I have a newly found appreciation for my mother's cooking. Sure, I gained a few pounds with mom's cooking, but my taste buds have never been so happy in all my life, which is completely worth it.

The beauty of everything that comes from my mom's kitchen is that it is relatively simple and indescribably delicious, though she has a few tricks up her sleeves that make her cookies taste like 500 unicorns throwing flavored life onto your tongue. She loves to share her cooking, so together we are giving you five of her favorite recipes along with advice on how to make them (almost) as good as what comes from the Vandenbosch Kitchen.

As a rule, the abbreviation Tbl. means tablespoon and Tsp. means teaspoon.

1. Doughnuts

This recipe yields about 100 medium-sized doughnuts

Ingredients

2 Cups of hot mashed potato (no milk, butter or salt added)

1/2 Cup Butter + 1/2 Cup Margarine

1 Cup Sugar

Instructions

Combine the above

1 Qt. Scalded Whole Milk, add to above mixture

3 Packages of Dry Yeast dissolved in 3/4 cup of lukewarm water

- after yeast has begun to work, add to above mixture after the mixture has cooled to lukewarm temperature

Add 3 cups of flour - let stand until it sponges

Then add 2 Beaten Eggs, 1 Tbsp. Salt and slowly knead in 15 cups of flour (one cup at a time)

Let the dough stand until it grows double its size, and then roll out and cut into shapes

Let cutouts stand until double in size

Fry in oil 350 - 375 degrees

Doughnuts can be covered in cinnamon and brown sugar, confectionary sugar or the glaze recipe that follows

2 Pounds of Confectioners Sugar

1 Tbl. Vanilla Extract

1/8 Cup Butter + 1/8 Cup Margarine

Mix the above ingredients with 1 Cup Milk and glaze the doughnuts while they are still warm

Annie's Anecdotes - This is a very old and authentic recipe that comes from an elderly Mennonite woman, which makes it one of the more complicated recipes listed. However, after all the work, they are delicious. The secret is the mashed potatoes - this special ingredient keeps the doughnuts from tasting greasy.

2. Orange Drop Cookies

Ingredients

2/3 Cup Shortening

3/4 Cup Sugar

1 Egg

1/2 Cup Orange Juice

1 Zest of California Naval Orange

2 Cups Flour

1/2 Tsp. Baking Powder

1/2 Tsp. Baking Soda

1/2 Tsp. Salt

Instructions

Preheat Oven to 400 Degrees

Mix shortening, sugar and egg

Stir in orange juice and orange zest

In a separate bowl, stir dry ingredients together

Add dry ingredients slowly to wet ingredients, gently mix by hand

Scoop mix down with a spoon and drop onto an un-greased baking sheet

Bake each tray for 8 - 10 minutes, or until lightly browned on edges

Add Icing

Mix 2 1/2 Tbl. of soft butter, 1 1/2 Cups Confectionary Sugar, 1 1/2 Tbl. Orange Juice and drizzle over cookies

Annie's Anecdotes - These are Emily's favorite cookies. Though they are traditionally a Russian Christmas cookie that were only served on occasion because oranges were scarce, now these cookies make a tasty treat for any time of the year. Two important notes about baking them - first, watch the cookies' edges closely and remove before they brown. Second, the dough should be rather wet but avoid over-handling or rolling it.

3. Waffles

Ingredients

1 3/4 Cup Flour

2 Large Tsp. Baking Powder

1 Tbl. Sugar

3 Beaten Egg Yolks

1/2 Cup Oil

3 Egg Whites

1 3/4 Cups Milk

Instructions

Mix dry ingredients in a bowl and set aside

In a small bowl, mix egg yolks, milk and oil

Hand whip egg whites until stiff

Stir egg and milk mixture into dry ingredients, it should be lumpy

Fold in egg whites

Use batter in a waffle iron

Annie's Anecdotes - "Folding in" an egg white means to use a large spoon to gently lift the batter over the egg white without stirring. "Whipping" an egg white means to beat the white until it can stand up stiffly. This recipe is best served with authentic maple syrup and butter.

4. Pie Crust

Ingredients

4 Cups Flour

1 Tsp. Baking Powder

2 Tsp. Salt

1 2/3 Cups Lard

1/2 Cup Iced Water

1 Egg, beaten

1 Tbl. Distilled White Vinegar

Instructions

In a large bowl, mix flour, baking powder and salt

"Cut in" lard until mixture resembles coarse meal

In a small bowl, mix water, egg and vinegar - pour this into lard mixture until dough is thoroughly moistened and forms a ball

Divide into four portions and wrap tightly

Use dough within three days or freeze

Annie's Anecdotes - This pie crust is another Mennonite recipe and is extremely forgiving, rolls out easily and has an unique combination of ingredients that I have not found anywhere else. I recommend brushing the top crust with a 2 to 1 ratio water and honey, respectively, to achieve a light golden crust. "Cutting in" lard means to use a pastry knife to chop up the lard and flour mixture until no smaller than pea-sized pieces of lard remain.

5. Chocolate Chip Cookies

The best is for last - my mom's chocolate chip cookies have won hundreds of friends and solved numerous problems. They are beyond delicious. The final recipe is here below if you dare attempt Annie's World (truly) Famous Chocolate Chip Cookies.

Ingredients

1 1/2 Cups of Granulated Sugar

1 1/2 Cups of Packed Brown Sugar

2 Cups of Room Temperature Butter

4 Eggs

1/2 Cup Vanilla Extract

2 Tsp. of Baking Soda

1/4 Tsp. Salt

6 to 7 Cups of Flour

2 1/2 Cups Chocolate Chips

Instructions

Preheat Oven to 400 Degrees

Cream butter and both sugars

Add eggs, vanilla, baking soda and salt - mix well

Slowly add flour until dough becomes stiff

Mix in chocolate chips

Use a large spoon to drop dough onto a cool baking sheet

Bake for about nine minutes

Remove from the oven and allow the cookies to cool before moving them to a wire drying rack

This recipe yields about 4 1/2 dozen

Annie's Anecdotes - The secret to making these cookies so deliciously addicting is the large amount of pure vanilla extract. The consistency of the butter determines the amount of flour you should add - a harder butter requires less flour and softer butter calls for more flour. Add the flour one cup at a time until the dough is fairly stiff but NOT CRUMBLY. While baking, remove the cookies from the oven when the tops become golden brown, and then let them sit on the hot tray to finish - do not over bake.

Final Notes -
Storage of baked goods is CRUCIAL. Pies and cookies are best when kept in an air-tight container in your refrigerator. However, doughnuts will not keep, so be sure to invite your friends. Perhaps, you can host a doughnut and cider party that often accompanied the original recipe.

P.S. - The secret to all good cooking - DO NOT BURN THE FOOD!

These recipes have been passed on for generations through many families including my own - I hope that you can enjoy them with your friends and family for years to come because food is best when shared.