A Moment Of Silence For Society | The Odyssey Online

A Moment Of Silence For Society

Americans are in need of a break.

15
A Moment Of Silence For Society
Tumblr

I want to start off by saying this article won’t apply to everyone. If you think of yourself as a person who can deal with anything life throws at you (which granted most people do including me) and you can put up with everything that is going on in our society today then this message isn’t for you. If you can sit by and not care about people’s lives being taken away, then this message is certainly not for you. If you do not care about someone’s heart you just broke, this message is not intended for you. If you are putting grief on someone because of their appearance, sexual orientation, and/or religion, then goodbye.

I want this message to adhere to grieving souls. I know my condolences may not be as comforting as having your loved one; however, I am sorry. Whether they were taken away from you mercilessly, fatal accident or fighting for our country, my heart goes out to you. This is a time to comfort one another, but some people are just content with being distracted. But I get it -- we all need a break from what’s going on.

I want this message to comfort the broken. If someone played with your emotions for their enjoyment, know that there are people in the world who still care. If you are getting out of a long-winded relationship (married or not), know that it is going to be hard, but you will persevere. If someone ridiculed you on your looks, personality, orientation and/or religion, don’t let that affect you. Honestly, you should really delete their comments from your mind because you are perfect just the way you are. I know that is the most cliché line ever told, but I mean it. I can’t get my point across any other way. I know a lot of us would truly appreciate a vacation to a random tropical island, but I think the biggest break that any of us can have is to hear that it has stopped. The killings have stopped. The racist and derogatory slurs have stopped. The justice system has stopped and fixed itself from the inside.

I am tired of seeing people in pain, but I know it is inevitable. Pain is a part of life, it’s just how we take it. But how can we live in a world where causing someone pain is another’s enjoyment? I am so sick of hearing a terrorist attack or a terrorist movement. I am so sick of people bullying one another. Honestly, what good is it to hurt someone’s feelings when they can just walk outside and get killed? And no I am not just talking about black citizens, when America can easily be targeted for another attack from somewhere else in the world. And you know why? Because we don’t have our country straight. We live in a world where our Constitution is nothing but a piece of paper when it comes to people who hold authority. However, when an American citizen breaks the Constitution they must be “put down.” We want to live in a world where there is peace, yet we fail to love each other on the inside of our country. Racial slurs, body insults, and homophobic comments are just little examples of the hate that is constantly being tossed around. “Land of the free and home of the brave” is like lightning, appealing to the eye and deadly to the touch.

I want justice. I want peace. I want you to be free. Not the freedom that society wants to make you think you have. But I fear that there will be no other way.