25 Things All St. Louisans Need To Do This Summer

Don't waste your time sitting around this summer, immerse yourself in all that St. Louis has to offer!

213

What's that you say? Summer's almost here?! Only a matter of days remain before the end of the school year. Time frees up and eventually we are left wondering what to do with all of it. For St. Louisans this is actually quite an easy feat. That's because St. Louis is the greatest city in the entire country. Ok.... I might be a tiny bit biased. Only a tiny, though. As a native St. Louisan returning from a long year away at college, I cannot wait to indulge in the variety of activities St. Louis has to offer (which is a lot more than just the Gateway Arch). Don't waste time sitting on your couch all summer, get up and out and see all that the wonderful city of St. Louis has to offer!

1. Shakespeare In the Park

Get your Shakespeare fix at Shakespeare in the Park! As part of St. Louis' Shakespeare Festival, this summer's feature, A Midsummer Night's Dream, will run from June 3rd through the 26th outdoors each night in Forest Park.

2. The Muny

Head on over to The Muny in Forest Park. Muny shows are like no other; the outdoor environment allows audience members to watch a world class theatre performance while simultaneously watching the sunset. What more could you ask for? The 2016 season includes performances of The Wizard of Oz, 42nd Street, The Music Man, & Mamma Mia!

3. Movie Mondays in Ballpark Village & Drive Ins!

Grab some friends, a few snacks, a blanket and go downtown for an outdoor movie night at Ballpark Village on select Monday evenings. Or, cross the river on Friday and Saturday evenings to visit Skyview Drive-in in Belleville, Illinois for a blast from the past experience!

4. Feast in the Park

Food trucks galore! Bring friends and family out to one of St. Louis' neighborhood parks for an affordable meal along with live music as part of Feast in the Park! Food trucks can be found in Tilles Park, Creve Coeur Park, Faust Park, etc. on select dates from 5 to 8 p.m.

5. Slide the City

Have you ever dreamed of slip 'n sliding down three blocks in the heart of St. Louis? Slide the City offers just that and plans to transform Oakland Avenue into a water extravaganza on July 9th. You don't want to miss this!

6. "Road to Rio" Team Trials

Come cheer on your 2016 United States Olympic Men's Gymnastics team! "Road to Rio" will come to St. Louis for the Men's Gymnastic team trials where an official team roster will be determined and announced. Trials run June 23rd through the 26th at Chaifetz Arena.

7. Paul McCartney Concert at Busch Stadium

Don't miss an opportunity to see one of the best perform hits such as "Let it Be" and "Hey Jude!" Paul McCartney returns on the 50th anniversary of The Beatles' concert at the old Busch Stadium. This will be an iconic and nostalgic evening in the Lou.

8. Paddleboat in Forest Park

Perfect for a date with that special someone (or even if you're tragically single), paddle boating at the Boathouse in Forest Park is a must. Enjoy a picnic out on the water or relax with friends and family.

9. Art on the Vines

Looking for a way to express your creative juices? Grab a group of friends and make your way to Art on the Vines in Kirkwood! Art on the Vines provides all the materials to create a masterpiece painting, along with instructions to help you get there!

10. Escape the Room STL

Escape the Room is a huge fad circling around the country and has made its way to St. Louis. As a real life adventure game, small groups of people come together to figure out clues, find hidden objects, and ultimately escape the room that they have been locked in before time runs out!

11. Soulard Farmer's Market

There's no better time than summertime to purchase some homegrown fresh produce and support local farmers. At the historic Soulard Farmers' Market, individuals can enjoy the beautiful weather and fresh air while also indulging in delicious produce!

12. Fair St. Louis

Celebrate America's birthday at Fair St. Louis taking place July 2nd through July 4th throughout the downtown area. Sammy Hagar is set to perform, there will be a variety of tasty St. Louis treats, and a spectacular fireworks show to top off the two-day long event.

13. Go to a Coldplay Concert

Seven time Grammy winning recording artist Coldplay will be making a stop in St. Louis at the Chaifetz Arena on July 21st as a part of their "A Head Full of Dreams" Tour.

14. City Garden

Referred to as "an urban oasis," City Garden is the perfect place for families and friends alike to come together and beat the heat. There are several shallow water pools and fountains that allow individuals to cool off from the disgusting St. Louis' summer weather.

15. Johnson Shut-ins and Elephant Rocks

Want to take a road trip but don't want to travel too far? Take a day trip to either Johnson Shut-Ins State Park in Middle Brook, Missouri or Elephant Rock State Park in Belleview, Missouri. Both destinations are under a two-hour drive from St. Louis. Enjoy the fresh air by climbing the rocks, swimming in the river, or even having a picnic.

16. Six Flags

Six Flags is always a must. Nothing beats the thrill of speeding through the air on a roller coaster.

17. Ted Drewes Frozen Custard

This one should be pretty self-explanatory to any St. Louis native, but if you haven't already been or are looking for a scrumptious summer specialty, Ted Drewes is the place to go. Ted Drewes is famous for their custards -- try holding yours upside down and I'm positive you'll see what I mean.

18. Greek Fest

This Memorial Day weekend, May 27th through the 30th, come on out to Assumption Greek Orthodox Church to "experience a taste of Greece without the airfare." Immerse yourself in the Greek heritage by watching traditional Greek folk dancers, listening to live Greek music, touring the church, and trying lamb or other Greek cuisine.

19. Caveman Zipline

Are you an adrenaline junky? If so, this one is especially for you! Soar across the Meramec River on the Caveman Zipline at Meramec Caverns in a ninety-minute adventure consisting of three swinging sky bridges and zip rides that reach up to 50 mph!

20. Great Forest Park Balloon Race

Did you know the most popular and oldest free Hot Air Balloon event happens right here in St. Louis? The Great Forest Park Balloon Race consists of 70 participants and 130,000 attendees. The night before the prestigious race, all of the hot air balloons participate in a balloon glow, allowing spectators to see all of the balloons blown up and illuminated. This year the event will take place September 16th through the 17th.

21. Laumeier Sculpture Park

Spend a beautiful summer day climbing on or posing for photos with the plethora of sculptures and outdoor art, including this giant eyeball, at Laumeier Sculpture Park.

22. Fitz's in Delmar Loop

Fitz's Rootbeer Floats sure are something special. One of these is perfect after a long day spent walking the Delmar Loop checking out record stores and the stars of the St. Louis Walk of Fame.

23. The Zoo

St. Louis also has one of the nation's best Zoos -- not to mention admission is free! With 600 species of animals exhibited, whether you've never been or you've been a thousand times, the St. Louis Zoo is a wonderful place to spend a summer day.

24. 4 Week Yoga Series at Missouri Botanical Garden

This summer the Missouri Botanical Garden will be hosting a four-week, hour long, morning yoga session each Sunday from May 9th through June 19th. Find your center and become one with nature in literally one of the most scenic areas in St. Louis.

25. Cardinal's Baseball Game

Take me out to the ball game! The St. Louis Cardinals' baseball team has played extremely well these past couple years. A night spent at the ballpark munching on hot dogs and nachos watching our beloved baseball team is most definitely a night well spent!