I Miss You When... | The Odyssey Online

I Miss You When...

I miss you when I breathe.

21
I Miss You When...
Jill Ryon

This article is dedicated to my Great Grandfather, Charles William Hickey Sr., who passed on September 11, 2016. I love you Paupau

I miss you when I see my Bible.

You gave me my Bible when I was eight after I lost my old one. We searched and searched the Christian bookstore for one just like my first one, but they didn't exist anymore. So you bought me a new one. You wrote your favorite verses inside the front cover and made me promise to read and study it daily. I miss you every time I open my Bible and think of that shopping trip.

I miss you when I go to the grocery store.

The grocery store was literally your favorite place in the world. You went at least once a day, and everyone knew you as Mr. Charles. I even gave you gift cards to different stores for Christmas, just because I knew how much you liked to shop. I miss you with each grocery I put in my cart when I'm shopping, and I make sure to buy one thing in your honor.

I miss you when the Panthers play.

You watched the Panthers almost as much as you went to the store. You never missed a game, even when you were in the hospital. You dressed up in your Panther blue and cheered on your boys to victory every weekend. I'm so glad you got to watch them play in the Super Bowl last season, even if they didn't win. I miss you with every touchdown.

I miss you when I eat Tootsie Rolls.

You always gave me "Paupau candy" when I visited. From the time I was old enough to chew candy, you always had a piece ready for me. Who knew something as trivial as candy could hold such deep memories? I can barely even eat a Tootsie Roll without crying now. I miss you when the candy sticks to my teeth.

I miss you when I pray.

I never knew a man who loved God more than you did. You got on your knees to pray every day. Even when you couldn't do it on your own anymore, you made sure someone helped you get on your knees. You taught our family the importance of falling on your face in adoration of The Lord and you taught by example. I miss you when I worship.

I miss you when I cook.

We used to make waffles together every Saturday morning that I spent at your house. It was tradition. I held the measuring cups, while you poured. I cracked the eggs, and you heated up the waffle maker. For dinner on Saturdays, you would always make your famous spaghetti and meatballs. I have sworn off all other meatballs because none are as delicious as yours. I miss you when I'm in the kitchen.

I miss you when I dance.

You taught our family how to dance. You and Great Grandma were always dancing, and you made sure all of the other women in the family knew how to dance just as good as her. Countless times we danced into the wee hours of the night, not paying any attention to the time. We only cared about the company and memories we were making. I miss you with every twirl.

I miss you.

I miss you all the time. It seems everything reminds me of you and the time we spent together. I am blessed to have known you for almost twenty years. That's why this is so hard for me. You have impacted me in ways I don't even know yet. I miss you always.