What I Miss About Ballet - The Odyssey Online

What I Miss About Ballet

and may still love to hate about it

276
What I Miss About Ballet
huffpost.com

One of my favorite things in the world to do is dance, which is why I did ballet for over ten years. I’ve quit lessons twice; the first time I went back because I missed it so much, the second time was after my freshman year in high school and I still know that I won’t make the time to go back. Still, I miss dance a lot. Here are the things I miss most about dancing ballet, even if some of them I still hate at the same time…

1)Performing with other dancers

One of my favorite memories is dancing in the Nutcracker first as an angel, then a cherub, then a child at the party. I loved being a part of the bigger production and learning the dance with everyone else.

2)Learning routines and knowing them for months and months

Now when random music goes on and the beat is right, I still might remember a few steps to one of my old routines. Even if you struggle with a certain routine, once you master it, it’s an amazing feeling to dance through it, and then start learning the next one.

3)Costumes

This is my inner little girl wanting to be a princess coming out a bit, but I loved wearing the dresses, holding our dolls in the Nutcracker, wearing wings as a fairy or angel, or even wearing a tiara at a recital. My only huge objection? Tutus. I could not stand tuts and would de-fluff them as much as I could. But hey, it comes with the territory.

4)Going to a studio with a dance floor and mirror

Sure, you can dance on your own outside or in a large room or hallway if you’re lucky to have the space, but it is different than having a dance floor and mirrors to really practice and dance with ease.

5)Practicing, falling, and even practicing falling

The repetition rarely bothered me in class and I loved practicing a new step (especially when I got it right). On the other hand, you tend to start to fall a lot, or even have to practice falling gracefully for a production, which in all honesty I also found hilarious and fun.

6)Being sore from stretching

The second time I quit I had one immediate reason- I started track and I would come to dance after practice and have to do splits and stretch and it hurt. A lot. On the other hand, I miss stretching and doing the crazy exercises, even if I was sore during or the next day.

7)Make-up, buns, leotards, and tights

Now as a kid, it was a pain to wait for my mom to get my very long hair into a ballerina bun and put on a whole lot of blush and red lipstick. However, as a person who doesn’t like wearing make-up on a day to day basis, I don’t mind it for a performance, and I love to braid my own hair and put it in bun, out of the way. Although slightly uncomfortable to get on the leotard and tights were nice to dance in and it’s really the only time I would ever wear them.

8)Splits against the wall

The most fun and the most painful- enough said. If you've never done it, you don't know.

9)Bar Exercises

Most people thought these were a pain but the first thing I do when I can get in a dance studio is bar exercises. It’s simple, but it’s relaxing and a good warm-up that always makes me feel better.

10)Flying

After bar, when you start jumping and turning, after all the practice, when you’re just having fun- it’s an amazing feeling. When you learn to dance, you learn to fly, and it’s something you never lose or forget.