Miles, States, Oceans Away But Friends We Stay | The Odyssey Online

Miles, States, Oceans Away But Friends We Stay

12

It's old news that as we head to college we don't always take our best friends with us. Instead, we end up hours away, states away, and sometimes even oceans away thanks to study abroad programs.

We don't get to decide when life kicks us down, but in those moments we want to be surrounded by the people who have always helped us back up.

There will, also, be much more positive times, that we'd want to share those moments with the people who were there for all the other big moments in our lives.

All in all, distance sucks. I'm sure I'm not the only one impatiently waiting for the possibility to snap your fingers and be anywhere.

Since we don't have that possibility just yet, here are 5 ways to stay close to your pals, even when you aren't physically close to them!

1. Don't forget the little things

Just like in a relationship, the little things mean the most. Whether it be remembering their birthday, that good luck text the day of a big exam, or even just wishing them a good day, it all adds up to equal more than you could imagine. Friendships have to be a two-way street just as relationships are, if one person is the only one putting in the effort, reaching out, and remembering the details, the friendship is going to fizzle between the miles.

2. Drunk call your best friend instead of your ex

You're a liar if you say you've never texted or called your ex after a night out. Whether your drunk-self deletes the evidence or you wake up to find it while trying to sort out the night, it's happened. A better idea with a little less regret? Calling your best friend! Now, my very best friend is my mom, so the 2am calls give her more of a scare than a heartwarming feeling. Why spill all your "I miss you's" to an ex when you could spill them all to someone who was there for you when they weren't!

3. Drive the miles

Distance sucks. Gas costs money. BUT, who doesn't enjoy a good jam session. Make a playlist, get behind the wheel, and go visit your friends. This year I have trips to Kentucky and Tennessee to make, and I cannot wait to spend some time outside of Charleston. Who doesn't like an adventure? Think of it as a mini vacation. It's a two-way street, have them come visit good ol' EIU. Let's be real, they probably can't hang, a weekend out in Charleston can be deadly for newcomers, but at least they'll get to experience the greatness that is Chubby Sticks.

4. Make time

You both are in a busy time of your life. Whether you're both in college or working the days are filled with hard work and the nights are filled with catching up on sleep. The effort has to be there on both ends! It doesn't take but two seconds to send a "How are you?" text. It also doesn't take a whole lot of time to facetime or even spend some time on the phone! People make time for those who matter and make excuses for those who don't! Don't be the friend who always has an excuse for missing out on all of the bad times and reappearing for all the good!

5. Remember Silence doesn't mean they don't miss you.

People get busy. Life happens. Sometimes you won't talk to your friends for a couple days, a couple weeks even. Just because they aren't sending you a text doesn't mean they aren't missing you! In college it's uncommon to talk to both of your parents every day, but, we never doubt that they are missing us and still love us. Friends are the same way! If you haven't heard from them in awhile and you're wondering if maybe it's time to send out the search team, shoot them the text. Friendships have no room for passive-aggressive actions and stubborn attitudes!

Distance is hard and definitely sucks but when you've spent your entire life building a friendship, why let it go down the drain over a few hundred miles?! Friends are hard to replace, especially if yours are has great of friends as mine are. Make the effort, take the time, call them up, and reassure them that no matter how long you are apart, the separation doesn't change the friendship!