Compliment Books: A New Form Of Accepting Love

Documenting the good in your life.

229

Did you ever have a class in grade school or high school where you’d pass a piece of paper around the room for your classmates to write down their perception of you or the strengths they saw in you? People do this activity every day. You just have to give their words value.

I’m someone who thrives on organization. I love writing and making lists, so I don’t just have one journal. I have a journal where I document my workouts, a journal with my favorite quotes, a journal for reflecting and a gratitude journal. I love any excuse to have distinct uses for things.

In March of this year, I was talking to a friend about the importance of focusing on the good things people say about you rather than on the negative things. Often times, the sweetest things said are from the most important people in our lives. Giving value to things these people say can make a big difference.

As I talked to my friend, I asked, “What if we make journals that contain all of the meaningful compliments we receive?”

Nine months later, I’m still keeping track of the nice things people say to me.

College is a hectic time, and it’s easy to get lost in a sea of papers, exams and applications for grad school, internships, or jobs. But giving yourself the gift of acceptance of others’ kindness and appreciation is something I believe more people should take the time to do.

When someone texts me complimenting an article I wrote, for example, I’ll screenshot it and go back later to write it down. Similarly, if someone compliments me in person, I take a moment to jot it down in a note on my phone.

I struggled with figuring out how to compile my collection, but I eventually decided to write the compliments on 4x6 notecards and assemble them in a photo book. On each card, I write the date, what was said, and who said it.

I’ve received mixed feedback about my compliment book. Some people think it’s vain, but others see the value in it. I see both sides, but I know how rewarding it has been for me personally so far, and I think it's worthwhile.

It’s a form of journaling and it’s a form of accepting love.

You will be surprised by how loved you have been by those around you, and it’s a very humbling experience to be able to flip through a tangible book with kind words about you written down page after page.

If you’re going through a rough time, it’s a beautiful thing to have, especially to see which names continuously make the book. These are people you want to keep in your life for a long time because they celebrate you for who you are and what you do. Compliment journals make you want to celebrate others, too because you realize the impact words can have.

Ask for a journal or photo book for Christmas so you can start your journal in the most loving of seasons.