The 8 Best Underrated Disney Channel Original Movies | The Odyssey Online

The 8 Best Underrated Disney Channel Original Movies

It's More Than High School Musicals and Cheetah Girls

97

We’ve all seen them, we’ve all quoted them at some point in our lives. I’m talking about THE infamous Disney Channel Original Movies (or DCOMs for short). The most popular ones of course include the iconic High School Musical Trilogy, (which jump-started Zach Efron’s career), the Zenon Trilogy (which we can thank for making Zetus Lepetus! at least a semi-normal thing to say), the perfect movies to get us into the fall season, the HalloweenTown series, and many more. These movies and the other popular ones are all great and all deserve praise, (I mean who didn't reenact Hillary Duff and Christy Carlton Romano in the ribbon dancing scene seriously missed out on some fun times), however I feel that there are many unsung heroes of the DCOM world that have to be appreciated, and here’s just a few that need some love.

1. Northern Lights

This was this first ever DCOM to ever be made AND it stars Diane Keaton (yeah I don’t know how that happened either). This is an obvious must as it is the first DCOM ever made, but read the summary here to be convinced.

2. The Color of Friendship

This is may be a movie that more people know, but I still feel that it is very under-appreciated. I mean, this movie is definitely something that some oblivious folks in our world today could learn something from in its short, yet very inspiring 87 minutes. And the interesting part is that this friendship was actually based on a true story. Read the summary here.

3. The Ultimate Christmas Present

This one is underrated because everyone can definitely find themselves relating to it at some point in their lives, because who doesn’t love a snow day? (Especially if you live on the West Coast). If you’re in the holiday mood, this is just an all-around feel-good holiday movie that’s sure to get you wishing for a white Christmas no matter where you live. Read the summary here.

4. Luck of the Irish

Ok so this one is definitely not underrated but had to be included because it’s just so brilliant. So if you’re in the mood to watch Michael Flatley dance but can’t afford the Broadway tickets, this movie should definitely be on your must watch list. Read the summary here.

5. The Thirteenth Year

This focuses on a boy who is (plot twist) turning 13. After this momentous occasion where a young boy turns into a man, this boy finds out that he’s not fully a man but…a MERMAN. Read the summary here if you need more to convince you.

6. Phantom of the Megaplex

This one is obviously a classic because it’s based off the classic musical, Phantom of the Opera. I don’t want to give away too many spoilers, but the kid is offered a promotion in the end, so you should watch to see if he actually deserves it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Read the summary here.

7. Don’t Look Under The Bed

This movie was probably THE scariest thing I saw as a young child and probably would scare me just as much if I watched it today. Disney actually faced a lot of criticism for making such scary movies for young audiences, which is why they now focus more on comedies. So it basically sells itself, but you can read the summary here.

8. Tru Confessions

This movie is even kind of under-appreciated by its star, Shia LaBeouf, himself (he left it out of his “All My Movies” list and I am frankly quite insulted). This is one of the most caring DCOMs that has been made, because it focuses on real issues that people may endure every day in regards to mental illnesses. Read the summary here.