Because He Loved Me First, I Can Now Love You | The Odyssey Online

Because He Loved Me First, I Can Now Love You

"Cause me to hear Your loving kindness in the morning, For in You do I trust; Cause me to know the way in which I should walk, For I lift up my soul to You." (Psalm 143:8, NKJV)

48
Unsplash

Anyone who has spoken two words to me knows that love is one of the most salient things in my life. As far as I am concerned, love makes the world spin. I try, as hard as I possibly can, to love people with my whole heart. I fall short sometimes in placing my love where it properly belongs, in Christ.

Until the day I die, I will stand by the fact that we are blessed with the ability to love one another only because Our Lord has loved us more infinitely than we can imagine. So often we will throw the word "unconditionally" into the mix when revealing how much we love another. That word is so out of place; we cannot comprehend the reality of unconditional love. "But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Romans 5:8, NKJV). The Lord has loved each and every one of us so completely that He condescended to be man and died upon the cross for us.

My family has provided a glowing example of how to love each other. My mother and father have been so supportive in all of my endeavors, and they have encouraged me to be good. I recall growing up and being told that whatever I choose to be, to make sure I am a good one. My journey to strengthen my faith, my choice of education, my faults, my stumbles, my indiscretions; all were greeted with kindness, discernment, and understanding.

Christ calls us to share that love with each other and with the world around us; the Lord encourages us to love not only our spouses, but our mothers, fathers, friends, sisters, brothers, neighbors, and strangers alike with the same compassion as He loved us. "A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another. By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another.” (John 13:34-35, NKJV) I have done what I can, and I continue to work daily to love others according to the boundless glory of love I have been given. It goes without saying that so many of my brothers and sisters in Christ have shown me love, compassion, and understanding with every breathe they breathe. A very special group of young women have illustrated kindness beyond compare.

Among the people who have answered the Lord's call to love is my incredible boyfriend. More importantly, he has answered the call by loving God first and allowing His radiant love to affect the people John comes into contact with, myself included. Time and time again, I've spoken the words that I love him more than I've loved any man in my life. John is my happy place, he is my warmth, he is my confidant. Sometimes I worry, maybe, in loving him so much, I forget the reasons I am able to love in the first place. If it were not for Christ's hand in our lives, we would not be together. If it was not for our individual trust and relationship with Our Savior, we would not hold such a dear and strong relationship.

So, let me close with a simple prayer:

Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbors, brothers, sisters, and foes as myself. In your lovingkindness Lord, love John through me. Help me to love John through You, and be loved by You through John, so that by keeping Your commandments, I may glorify You, the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.