A Love Letter To My Dog

A Love Letter To My Dog

You're a crucial part of our family.

86
A Love Letter To My Dog
Victoria Wright

There are two types of people in this world: dog people and cat people. There really is no in between - you either love dogs more or cats more, and if you love cats more, I'm sorry but you're wrong. At least to me you are. Sure, cats are cute and make great pets, but I don't think any animal can compare to the unconditional love and affection always waiting for you when you have a dog. There's a reason they are referred to as man's best friend.

Our dogs are always there for us: when we are sad, lonely, or even just on those hot summer days when we need someone to sit by the pool with. I know for me the thing that gets me the most excited about coming home for school breaks is getting to see my dog. He's the first one to greet me, and sometimes the one I miss the most (sorry Mom and Dad). So this got me thinking, my dog gives me so much love and affection, why don't I give something back? Well buddy, this one's for you.

Thank you for always being overjoyed to see me, even if I've literally only been gone for five minutes.

True love is always being excited to see that person, even if you just saw them. Thank you for constantly making me feel like I am the most important member of the family, and reminding me of it every single time you see me.

Thank you for always being down for a cuddle sesh -- literally.

One of the best things about you, is when people have let me down and disappointed me, or not loved me back, you have always been there for me. When cute boys to cuddle with are nowhere to be found, I have you. Whenever I am sad or heartbroken, you are always there to make me feel loved.

Thank you for loving me, even though I have flaws.

We all know the famous quote at the end of "Marley & Me" about how dogs don't care if you're rich or poor, young or old, fat or skinny, but if you give them your heart they will give you theirs. Even though I am not perfect, I know I always have you to turn to and you love me no matter what, which is more than I can say about most people. To you it doesn't matter that I am not perfect; you seem to see right through all of those things. If people were more like dogs, the world would be a far better place to inhabit.

Thanks for all the times you come to my room on your own - it means more than you think.

It's how I know you really love me - when you randomly walk into my room, stare at me, sniff around a little bit. Maybe lay on the floor while I aimlessly scroll through social media sites. Whatever you're doing or thinking about in your little head when you do that, thank you.

Thank you for letting me talk to you in "baby talk" -- it's weird, I know.

We all do it; we don't really know why. But our dogs are in a way our children. And it just seems fitting to talk to them as if they are a newborn human. Even though they are covered in fur and can weigh close to 100 pounds. Makes sense.

But thank you dog, for not thinking it's weird. And for actually (I think) totally loving it. I know you hear my normal voice sometimes, and that's probably so confusing, but thank you for responding to my baby voice anyway and letting me sound like a complete idiot, and loving me for it.

Thanks for having a personality that's completely unique.

It's what makes you a part of the family. You blend in, but in your own way you totally stand out. The way you watch TV with us, and how you growl at everything you see outside the window, when in actuality I don't think you would hurt a fly. The way you always seem to know when Mom is on the phone with me, the cute way you move in circles before you lay down, your fear of our swimming pool; all of it. It's great and I love you more because of it.

Thank you for being a part of our family.

You're the best part if I do say so myself. Without you I really don't know what our house would be like, but it certainly would not be the same. Even though you can't talk to us, we all know how much you love us because of everything you do. We spoil you because of how much we love you, but we wouldn't have it any other way. You make our family dynamic what it is - without you we'd be incomplete. Without you, I would be a very sad and lonely person. Thank you for bringing so much joy to all of us. I love you more than I can put in this letter, more than most people, honestly. And it's all because you're you.

These are just a few reasons why dogs are far better than cats. I think it's because they are so similar to people, and in a lot of ways far better than us. My dog especially is the best of them all, but I guess I am a little biased there.

So thank you dog, for all that you do for us.

Love,

You're flawed, baby talking, owner who'd be lost without you