My Love For A City, Not A Man | The Odyssey Online

My Love For A City, Not A Man

Go after dreams. Not people.

18
My Love For A City, Not A Man
Anhelica Rodriguez

There’s something about the atmosphere when you step off the plane or when you see the cityscape from the window of the bus or car you took to get there. I’ve dated plenty of men in my life and although the company and the affection is wonderful; there’s no thrill like the city. I’ll take being single for the next five years, and would hold off on the thought of marriage for another shot to conquer this urban jungle.

My friends are getting engaged and starting families. Just this past weekend my Facebook announced two more engagements and a baby announcement. All which I had to find out from a news feed rather than a phone call. While they embark on their new journeys in their life, I am happy for them, however, it’s not the life for me. They’ll spend their money on a wedding planner or babysitter; I’m spending mine on the chance to chase my dreams.

I don’t live there yet, but I know it’s home. The constant honking of taxis and bustle of the city always moving is the consistency that I crave. No matter how many weeks or months go by, when I return to my city it stays unchanged. Like I never left, this preserved crystal shines bright. Cranky New Yorkers shoulders bump me as I appreciate the walk over the Brooklyn Bridge into the city. They don’t understand the happiness and giggling that overcomes me when I have to gain my balance again. I would do anything to walk among these cranky individuals and be able to say I’m a resident here.

Every time I leave or enter and I see those skyscrapers it gives me hope and a sense of belonging. I remember my first time in the city; I thought I would be swallowed up and spit out. I was cheated and received a pretty good ass kicking by the city, same with my first love. By the end of my short time there though, I was an expert. I knew the subway without having to look at a map. I knew what grocery stores were the least crowded at the best times. I knew where to shop and where to eat to avoid tourists. Hell, I began to hate Times Square just as much as the locals.

With every hot cup of coffee, happy hour drink and subway ride, I left my heart there. The sunset over the Hudson is enough to leave me wanting more. I work a little bit harder with each return back from the city. Working a little bit harder to achieve a dream I never thought I could achieve. I love you New York, more than I’ve ever loved or wanted in all of my life. You provide one thing a man has yet to provide for me, consistency.

I can always count on NYC to challenge me with constant obstacles that will eventually mold me into some form of a Girl Boss. I can always count on NYC to encourage me with the twinkling of New Jersey or Brooklyn over the river. I can always count on NYC to make me fall in love over and over again. Whether it’s with the people I meet within the city that draws me back more and more each time or the beauty of the garment district along with the idea of being in THE fashion capital of the world.

You can count on me New York to come back and chase you. For the rest of you men out there, find another woman because I’m only chasing after my dreams.