Best Things To Do In Los Angeles

Best Things To Do In Los Angeles

Visiting the City of Angels? Check out these top activities to do!

24
Best Things To Do In Los Angeles
Isabella Askar

My family and I summered in California this year, and it was absolutely amazing! Upon planning, it was somewhat challenging to gather a favorable list of "things to do." Certain visits were unquestionable, such as the Griffith Observatory, which appeared on nearly every website I visited for guidance. However, I have come here to Odyssey to share my ideas with the intent of aiding you in your vacation planning, should you wish to visit this wonderful city.

The City of Angeles is quite an extraordinary place. In no particular order, here are a few ideas to help you plan your next visit!

1. Studios

If there is one activity that screams Los Angeles, then it is studio visits! Whether your feelings toward the entertainment business are passionate or indifferent, touring a studio, at least once, is an exciting experience. From Fox to Warner Brothers, experience a tour that delves into various sound stages and in depth histories of the studios. (The sound stage featured here is from Sony Pictures.)

2. Views

Maybe it's because I live in Florida, but the mountainous views that California has to offer are absolutely breathtaking. Take advantage of this natural beauty, cost-free, by taking casual strolls through different neighborhoods in the hills or visiting the Griffith Observatory. If you are interested in the observatory, then I suggest a night visit, offering a panoramic view of Los Angeles in its entirety. Did I mention that the views are breathtaking?

3. Hiking

Included in this seamless pursuit of Cali views is hiking. Not only will you enjoy it, but you'll get a nice workout in the process! (Disclaimer: If you are not accustomed to exercising your hamstrings, then you will be sore the next day.) The Hollywood sign is a great hike, with various trails for all skill levels and the opportunity to take pictures worthy of scrapbooking! Franklin Canyon Park is another great location, especially if you dislike typical tourist destinations.

4. Avocado Toast

Perhaps it is silly to give this particular food item its own category, but I have always considered avocado toast to be a trendy treat! The one featured here is from Le Pain Quotidien, serving wondrous Belgian cuisine.

5. Schools

There are several universities in Los Angeles. Why not check them out? I happen to have a 16-year-old brother who is in the midst of his college hunt, so it was only logical that we visit regardless, but it is a great experience nonetheless!

6. California Dreaming

When you just want to sit back and relax, make sure to enjoy some L.A. classics! From "Pretty Woman" to "Californication," there are several options to feel that Los Angeles vibe.

7. Tea Please

There is a strong rivalry between Starbucks and Dunkin' Donuts, but let us not forget a West coast favorite, The Coffee Bean! If you happen to be a coffee or tea drinker, then I also highly recommend Urth Caffé. My sister ordered an English Breakfast tea from Urth, and it was designed with a Hello Kitty foam. How adorable is that?

8. Live Shows

Sign up in advance to request a seat to your favorite show! There are several, like "Ellen" or "Jimmy Kimmel." One particularity is the "APPLAUSE" sign you will see flashing when it's your queue to do so!

9. Beaches

Not everyone enjoys the sticky sand and incessant sun rays, but L.A. beaches are beautiful! The only downside may be the shivering cold waters that encompass it, but do not let this discourage you, as these cool towns are more than just their beaches. Make day trips out of it so that you can truly experience these unique areas. The dazzling blue waters featured here are from Malibu.

10. Dark Dining

I had the amazing opportunity of experiencing dark dining. Dining in the dark is exactly what it sounds like: you dine in the dark! Of course, this rather unconventional gathering is not for everyone, but it truly allows one to heighten the senses, to truly appreciate ones meal, but most importantly, to understand and support the blind and visually impaired. Several dark dining restaurants support the Foundation Fighting Blindness.

11. Flashing Lights

I would briefly like to admire just how incredibly uncomplicated it is to take amazing photos in Los Angeles! I took this one here by accident, catching a beautiful play of light between the sun and my family, all the while creating a dramatic setting! What I mean to suggest here is that it is worth carrying a camera with you almost everywhere you go. You never know when your favorite celebrity might pass by or if a movie scene is being shot down the block!

12. Drive

Whether your hands are on the wheel or you're riding shotgun, take a seat back, literally, and enjoy the journey through Sunset Boulevard or Mulholland Drive; and don't forget to play your favorite Cali songs!

Hopefully I have inspired various courses of action for you upon your next visit to Los Angeles, and if you're curious to know, I'd be happy to share my California playlists with you next time!