Locker Room Talk Leads to Assault

Locker Room Talk Leads to Assault

I should know, it happened to me.

115
Locker Room Talk Leads to Assault
mashable.com

I have taken the weekend to mull over the words and rebuttals of Donald Trump. I have listened and waited patiently for him to say something — ANYTHING that would make me more at ease. I hoped that perhaps he would say something on Sunday night that would sound like a heartfelt apology.

I didn't, and now I am furious.

I'm not upset at his use of the word "pussy".

I am not trying to use this as a podium to promote Hillary Clinton.

I believe, as a woman, that men have GOT to start understanding the gravity that their words carry when discussing a woman's body, and their "rights" to it.

Let me make this CRYSTAL CLEAR — you have zero rights to my body. You have zero rights to ANY woman's body. I don't care how much money you make, your position within your company, the team you play for, the media outlet that you are employed with, or the college you attend. You do not ever get to do what you want to a woman's body.

But talk is just talk, right? Donald Trump didn't actually grab a woman's "pussy", now did he? I don't know. Maybe he has, but here's the deal — when you speak about doing things like that, people listen. We cannot ignore that Trump is a man that people look up to and want to emulate (for better or worse). When a man like him says these things, even in private, he is promoting and excusing these actions. He is allowing for other men to walk in those verbal tracks. Donald Trump is continuing the cycle of abuse towards women.

This is not "locker room talk". Non-consensual touching of a person is assault, and talking about assaulting a person in a sexual way is wrong for anyone. This is especially true for a man who is trying to become the next president.

Maybe this wouldn't be such a hot button issue for me if I hadn't been assaulted by a man who thought he was "powerful," but let's play out how assault talk can lead to actual assault.

When I was 19, I was a host of a radio morning show in the mid-west. We had a guest on one morning who I had met a few times in passing. This man was the marketing advisor for a new professional indoor football team in the area. He and I had casually chatted a few times, and we agreed that he should come on my show to hype the team. This was completely harmless and normal promotional propaganda for the team and the show.

My red flag #1 should have been when I read his business card. Under his name, he had his "official title" listed as "Sexy Beast". But I didn't pay attention, and continued with business as usual.

The morning arrived that he and the coach of the football team came into the studio ready to chat about the upcoming season. I made the GRAVE female mistake of wearing a skirt to work that morning. As the interview went on, I was charmingly told how great my thighs looked, and that this man wanted "to eat my thighs" live on the air. I stupidly laughed it off, thinking it was part of the game, and went about with the morning.

What happened next was a bit of a blur.

I was live, talking about the team, when this man jumped out of his chair, opened my legs, and licked all over the insides of my thighs with his face pressed against my vagina.

This happened LIVE on the air of MY morning show. This was supposed to be a place that I should have felt safe. This should have been the place that I was the one in power; it was MY name on the morning show!

Even after the police were called, and lawyers became involved, I never felt any sort of solace from this event. He never went to jail. I didn't win my lawsuit.

His power driven "locker room" talk led to my assault.

Men, I don't want your apologies. Please don't say how angry this makes you. I don't need or want that from you. What I am begging from you is to stop allowing this talk to happen. Before your words become actions, just stop. Stop with the whispers about grabbing her tits. Stop with the banter about pushing her up against the wall. Your words have consequences, and you are perpetuating a landscape prime for assault and rape.

Don't let Donald Trump get away with dismissing the gravity of "joking" about sexual assault. Don't let anyone get away with this.