How To Feel A Little Better, When You're Depressed

A few little things to help you get through it.

129
Tumblr

Depression is an interesting thing. Sometimes it's circumstantial and will go away. Other times, it's an illness that will never go away. In either circumstance, depression can be debilitating and hard to deal with. It can take away your joy and make you feel useless. It can change the way you look at the world and just, in general, bring you down. And when you're down, it's hard to stay motivated and keep doing tasks that you need to do.

1. Allow yourself to do nothing.

As humans in a constantly moving world, we seem to tell ourselves that we have to keep moving and doing things, no matter what. When you're depressed and don't want to do anything, this can cause a lot of anxiety. If you feel like you have to do things but don't want to, it can dig you further into a sad hole. Instead of pressuring yourself to get everything done, as usual, allow yourself to sit or lay down and do absolutely nothing.

Yes, that's right: do nothing. If your plans permit you to do so, allow yourself to have the day to relax and do nothing. Keep reminding yourself that it's OK to do nothing sometimes. It will help you reset your brain and give yourself time to breathe and accept the feelings that you're feeling. Giving yourself permission to do this can be as liberating as finally making it through a depressive cycle.

2. Achieve small goals.

When you're depressed, achieving anything can feel like a feat. It's understandable, especially if you don't feel like doing anything. Instead of stressing yourself out by trying to achieve larger, more complicated goals, give yourself permission to celebrate little victories. Did you get up out of bed, shower, and brush your teeth, even if you had nowhere to go? Good for you! That may seem like a small victory, but you deserve to celebrate it. Did you go out in public and talk to a salesperson in a store, even though you felt like staying inside all day? Congratulations, you're a warrior.

Little things like these may seem minute to an atypical person, but when you're fighting off a depressive state, it can be monumental. Give yourself a pat on the back for these things, because even though they're small, they're still victories and a step closer to feeling a little better.

3. Keep your area clean, even just a little.

This one is a common one seen in a lot of self-care articles, but it's one that always rings true. Clutter and mess can continue the cycle of terrible thoughts and feelings of worthlessness, which can exacerbate depressive feelings as well. You don't have to do a complete detox of your room or scrub the kitchen floor with a toothbrush, but picking up your shoes and putting them away or throwing away unwanted papers can do the trick. Keeping an area clean and less cluttered can be cathartic and can help you feel a little more at ease with yourself. Plus, it's nicer to look at a clean room, don't you think?

4. Stretch.

While this may seem a little silly, stretching can actually help you feel better. Whether it's a brief stretch of the neck or an intense set of yoga, stretching can help relieve built-up stress and tension that can be contributing to your depression. Incorporating a little stretch here and there into your daily routine may help you prevent stress build up while also relieving tense, tired, or restless muscles! Plus, it just feels good, so why not?

It's also proven that depression can cause body aches and pains that are super-uncomfortable. Stretching your body out periodically may help relieve those aches and pains, and help you feel better in the long run. It may not be a miracle worker or solve every upsetting thing you're going through, but it can make you feel a little better.