To The Little Sisters I Just Met | The Odyssey Online

To The Little Sisters I Just Met

I just love you girls, and I barely know you. I can’t even explain it, I just know it.

7
To The Little Sisters I Just Met
Elizabeth Paul

Dear Little Sisters,

I hope for nothing more than this letter to reach you in love and happiness, my sweet girls. The whole world doesn’t know this, but we just met. I didn’t know about you, but I think you knew about me. I mean, I knew you existed because I met you that one day so many years ago, but I didn’t really know about you. You know? I knew that there was a chance that maybe some of the kids that I met that one day when I was eight might have shared some of the same blood that ran through my veins, but I never really wrapped my mind around that fact. I always wanted you in my life, I just never knew I wanted you until you were here.

Our parents made choices for us that didn’t allow us to grow up together. It makes me sad that I didn’t get to watch you girls grow up and be one of the big sisters that you (might have) wanted. We didn’t get to play school or house together, or dress up; we never played barbies, poly pockets or bratz together. I didn’t get to help teach you how to drive or take you shopping for make-up for the first time. Maybe as an only child, these are things that are completely romanticized and don’t actually happen in real sisterhood, but if we had grown up together, I wish they would have happened.

I love you more than you know and could ever fathom for only starting our relationships off four months ago. The moment that I found out about you, I knew that our blood was thick and I would have given you the shirt off my back, and I was going to tell the whole world about it. I brag about you to people I barely know, because… heck, I don’t know why, I just do. You’re my little sisters and I get to brag about you. It’s my job!

I hope you know that I don’t want anything from you except for your love. I just want relationships with each of you, nothing more. I have a lot of questions about our dad, but I don’t want you to answer them unless you want to. I see you for you and know that you are worth much more than any fact about our dad. I value you for the beautiful soul that you are and trust that details about him might come out someday, and I am a patient person. I have waited my entire life to know these details, after all.

I just love you girls, and I barely know you. I can’t even explain it, I just know it. Be good, OK?

Your big sister,

Beth