My Life With A Planner, And Tips To Starting Your Own | The Odyssey Online

My Life With A Planner, And Tips To Starting Your Own

College is long, hard, and full of time managing, but with a planner everything seems to fall into place.

30
Youtube

Since the beginning of time, plans have been made from when to attack another country to when the rocket to the moon will launch. Imagine someone forgetting to bring the declaration of independence to the signing. I would be the person who would forget to show up to my own wedding.

So I have planners... and calendars... and reminders... and to do lists.

If I decided right now to throw away all my planners, I would forget when bills are due, when my finals are, what time I work, and when I'm supposed to be back from break. I rely on these papers more than my own mind. I trust that a calendar knows more about my day than I do.

I never thought I would be the kind of person to use a planner. It seems unreal and a hassle to keep up with really. Who has time to make plans and keep track of everything? With a planner, I've realized how much I would had over planned my day. We are only human and can only do so much. I started making plans that interfered with my work schedule, giving up clubs, and cutting back time for friends.

College life has strengthened my ability to forget. The mounds of work make it easy to forget upcoming assignments or to confuse them with another. With my planner, I am able to "brain dump" all of my notes, plans, and goals onto paper. This helps to ease my mind of constant nagging.

While I am not planner company, nor would I ever be, I can say with great honor that everyone should have a planner.

Here are 5 steps to getting started in the planner world:

1) Buy a planner. Simple enough, how else could you possibly start this beautiful journey? Find something charming and to your best liking. Something that best benefits your way of thinking.

2) Write in all of your pre-planned events. Like assignments that you were given the due date ahead of time or known bill dates.

3) Double check that you've included all your important test dates, quiz dates, or job schedule.

4) Make sure to update your planner daily. Sit down at the end of your day to write in new events that came up, and to review for the next week.

5) Make a weekly list that you can have at quick hand to know what assignments (or important events or bills) are due by the end of the week. This is so helpful in being prepared and having work done on time. This way, nothing creeps up on you.

I suggest carrying your planner at all times. This little guy can become a safety net and your wingman when it comes to plans. Now that I have started the planner life, I will never be able to stop.