12 Valuable Life Lessons According To Basketball

867
http://wallpapers-and-backgrounds.net

Practicing a sport can teach a person much about attitudes, leadership, and self-discipline. Looking back, my experience of playing organized basketball was more than just a journey of blood, sweat, and tears. In fact, its subtle impact on my mental growth is what largely makes me who I am as a person today. I know everyone's experience is different, but if you were lucky to be part of a challenging yet supportive program like me, I'm sure you'll know what I am talking about. So without further due, here are 12 of the many lessons that I learned about life from playing organized basketball:

Size doesn't matter.

Life lesson: Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard. Your potential or your achievement level is not defined by the circumstances you were born into (appearance, racial status, disabilities, family background, etc.) So stop using them as your excuses for mediocracy.

Anything can happen in an instant.

Life lesson: Every second has its value. Time is essentially irrelevant; it's what you do with it making all the differences. Use your time wisely with the years you're given.

Defense wins the game.

Life lesson: Life is not about how many points you score on your opponents at the other end of the court; the key is always to take care of your own side of the basket.

Turnovers cost the game.

Life lesson:Always pay attention to details. Major defeats are the result of minor mistakes accumulating overtime.

Take charges.

Life lesson: It takes courage, selflessness, experience, good timing and a burning desire to win in basketball to take a charge. Fearlessly step up to whatever that is coming at you. Show up to your challenges in life.

Never give up on a play until the ball goes through the basket.

Life lesson:Perseverance. Always go after the loose ball or the chase down block just because there is the slightest chance that you might save the play. Difficult situations test a player's toughness and competitiveness. True character is only reflected through adversity.

Keep your head up when dribbling the ball.

Life lesson: Don't get too caught up on what you are doing and disregard the changing dynamics around you. Always look around and know what's happening in your environment.

Never argue with a referee...

Life lesson:Don't waste time and energy on irreversible events from the past, even if it was not what you wanted. You may disagree with a referee, but you should never disrespect him. Take responsibility for what you did and move on to the next play.

...but do stand up for your teammates.

Life lesson: Do unto others as you would want them to do unto you.

Your stats does not capture your worth.

Life lesson: Your contribution is often gone unnoticed by the majority, but your coaches and teammates will always know your value. Don't play for the recognition, or the glories. Play because you love the game and you love those who are along side of you.

The final score won't reflect the whole story.

Life lesson: A game lost can still be a victory, and vice versa. Though the outcome is important, it's not everything. Enjoy your participation in the process regardless of to where it leads you. Be proud for the mere fact that it happened and you were part of it.

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

Life lesson: Act when opportunity stares at you in the face. Don't shy away from opportunities just to avoid failures. Failures are inevitable, but opportunities never come back to you for a second time.