Life as Told by a Lifeguard

Life as Told by a Lifeguard

482
Life as Told by a Lifeguard

With national lifeguard appreciation week coming to a close, I just wanted to share with the world some of the truths behind this commonly misunderstood position. As a veteran of seven years, I can honestly say being a lifeguard is a job like no other. We, like all people, both love and hate our job, but mostly enjoy the experience. I can't picture a better seasonal job to fill my summers throughout high school and college, as well as possibly in the future as I pursue my dream to be a high school English teacher.

While this week celebrated those who watch over the lives of pool goers, most people reading this probably have a few misconceptions about the job itself. To the average swimmer, a lifeguard is possibly someone you look up to as a great swimmer him or herself, or possibly the person you count on to teach you how to dive. To adults, lifeguards are just some kids that get paid too much money to sit on their butts and tan. But in reality, the position is much more. Its an enjoyable outdoor position which does involve tanning, frequent breaks and sometime even free food from caring families. Other times it is extremely hot, laborious, and expensive, with certifications costing close to $300 dollars. Have you ever had to transport 30 tubes of heavy chlorine, being extra careful not to burn yourself; skim throw up out of the pool; or pull glass out of a child's foot? The good, the bad, and the ugly are all involved in the life of a lifeguard. Here's a bit about summer life being told by these trusty workers.

1. Summer clothes? I own white—partly white—tank tops and athletic shorts. Don’t forget the trusty flip-flops.

I find it so hard to plan outfits in the summer because during the majority of the week I am wearing uncomfortable whole pieces and worn in flip-flops. Don't even get me started on the "white" lifeguard shirts with sweat stains that have been baked in over the years.

2. I can justify owning 37 bathing suits because I work at a pool right? Even if only 5 of them are actually lifeguard suits.

One thing I always find myself purchasing is new bathing suits. Each and every year, as soon as summer begins you can open my laptop and find a Victoria's Secret tab open with plenty of bikinis in my cart. It's funny that I find this acceptable because in reality I can only wear lifeguard suits to work, so those cheetah print, strapless bandeau tops are saved for about three times a summer!

3. Love getting paid to tan, see how flattering my tan lines are?

One of the most common things I hear as a lifeguard is that I am getting paid to tan. Yes, I do get tan while I work, but most of the time, it is completely unwanted! I plaster sunscreen on my body and hind under the umbrella on the lifeguard stand to avoid these crazy tan lines. However, there is no escape from the lines!

4. Staring at a huge pool of water with everyone having fun while I bake in the sun is totally the life.

The second most common thing I hear as a lifeguard is that I have the life. Do you remember as a kid when you got in trouble and had to sit out on your towel for 20 minutes and watch all your friends having fun in the pool? Well that is what it is like being a lifeguard. You instantly feel hotter staring at the pool, and you watch all the other people have fun while you try not to die of boredom for a half hour. One of my lifeguard friends gave me advice my first year working to keep my mind entertained while you stare aimlessly at the pool: If an alien abduction took place right now at the pool, which person would they take first? If you're a lifeguard, try it sometime, you'll realize you're a lot more creative than you thought!

5. No I have never given mouth to mouth, and it’s not as exciting as in the movies.

When I tell my friends I'm a lifeguard, I think this is the first scene that comes to their minds. Most lifeguards never have had to perform mouth to mouth. This is because they are effective at their jobs and are being proactive to dangerous activity that could cause a person to drown. Even when you give mouth to mouth there's a mask involved. So no, it's not quite as exciting as the movies make it out to be!

6. Parents, I am not your kids’ babysitter, please handle their nonsense.

I know every lifeguard has had this thought at least once in their working career. Some parents think a lifeguard is a babysitter. While it is my jobs to watch your kid and protect them from danger, it is not my job to keep your kids from fighting, splashing each other, nearly killing each other, and annoying other people. Don't even get me started about what goes on outside of the pool. If you're not going to discipline your children, then please don't give me dirty looks when I bench your kid for not listening to me scream "No Running" for the 40,000 time today.

7.Having heart attacks while staring all day at the kids who do the same stupid stuff I used to do like floating like a dead person. Yes karma, I get it now.

Remember how much fun it was to see how long you could hold your breath and float like a dead person? I sure do! Little do you know, your lifeguard is having a heart attack that you're actually drowning. Most of us are staring you down looking for any slight movement to show signs of life. I typically start counting and my whole body tenses as I realize I might actually have to perform CPR for the first time. Then you lift your little head up and swim away as I catch myself at the last minute from peeing myself. Thanks karma, and sorry lifeguards that I put through this agony in my childhood.

8. Some things you can’t un-see.

The old man's plumber's crack as he exits the pool. The elder woman's bathing suit that is so dry rotted you can see through. The poop smeared all over the boy's room floor. The gash spewing blood on the teen's head from where he hit it on the side of the pool. There are many sights that I have viewed working as a lifeguard that I wish I could have avoided, but sadly they will be engrained in my mind forever.

9. The thought of saving someone’s life is actually terrifying.

While being a lifeguard is a fun job, being the older and talented protector that the kids look up to or the mature and responsible teen the parents know they can trust, it is all quite terrifying. Some only stick around until they make their first save, realizing the anxiety of having another 200 people's lives in your hands is way too much to bear. The idea that you starting out at 15 at your very first job, can't even drive yet, are responsible for keeping other live's safe is a HUGE responsibility. Even the most trained and experienced lifeguards still have a bit of fear in the back of their mind about saving someone in intense situations.

10. Wait was that thunder?

Thunder is music…that angels sing from heaven…to a lifeguard's ears. Hearing this means we can relax for a minute, finally go pee after holding it for nearly an hour, grab a drink so our parched lips can be replenished, or even to escape the pouring rain that we are unprotected from. There is no better day than one with a thunderstorm, not so your shift is cancelled, because then there's no pay, but just a little thunder to keep everyone out of the water!

It takes a special kind of person to be a lifeguard year after year, so don't forget to thank them, even though the appreciation week is over!