A Letter To Those Judgey People | The Odyssey Online

A Letter To Those Judgey People

Why do you care?

77
A Letter To Those Judgey People

Dear Judgey People

Why? Why do you have to be judgey? We could sit here and talk about how it stems from insecurity or that maybe you were judged harshly when you were younger and that's why you're acting out now. We can sit and contemplate about how you pride yourself on being mean and maybe it's as simple as that: you're just mean. However, what you don't realize is that being negative and talking behind people's backs, whether you think it's "funny" or not, is not going to get you anywhere in life. All you're going to be known as past high school and college is that person who talked shit about everyone else. You're not going to be known as someone who is funny or nice or successful. No one likes a bad sport and no one likes a bully. Bullying shouldn't be a concept that still exists in today's society because at the end of the day everyone should be concerned with their own lives, their own appearances and their own endeavors and not be so wrapped up in the people around them.

If you are so concerned with others around you, then you need to start spending time focusing on yourself and bettering yourself as an individual. At the end of the day, everyone has their individual lives that they should be solely concerned with. Judgment should only be passed if someone is hurting themselves or the people around them and being destructive or unproductive.

I know that as humans we make it a habit to notice the flaws of others, to make a note of the mistakes others make and we all secretly keep a little black book of times that someone has betrayed us so that we can use it as revenge, but seriously, WHY DO WE CARE?

On another note, who are we to judge people as humans? We're supposed to all be equal so we don't really have a right to sit there and pass judgment on other people, especially when we are not perfect ourselves (which no one is). Especially being in college, I have seen some out of the ordinary things, but I think about it for a moment and move on. As a person who has an open mind and someone that realizes everyone is different and unique in their own way, I would never call someone out for doing their thing or acting how they want. However, I will call out someone who is unfairly and harshly judging others.

All I can say is that if you are a judgey person, it isn't too late to change your ways. It's never too late to try and be a good person and not be so critical of others. I realize that a human flaw is to judge others, but that doesn't mean that we have to speak these judgments or even breathe them into existence. If a judgmental thought pops into your head, just keep it to yourself and focus on how you can maybe help that person in a positive way. Think of how you would feel if someone judged you or was talking behind your back and imagine the damage you can do to people. Why would you choose to simply be negative when you can be an amazing person who compliments and lifts people up?

Everyone has the potential to bright other people's days and as humans, we should be doing that instead of tearing each other down. I've given you my advice and my opinion and I hope that you take it with you in your days to come.

Sincerely,

Someone Who Tries To Keep An Open Mind