A Letter To The Person I Love That Hurt Me

I am enough.

35255
Fast Company

You may think you didn't hurt me, but you did. Reading this, you'll know who you are.

The last 10 months everything I've done was to please you. Not anymore. I put my feelings second, and you didn't care. You didn't ask how I was. You didn't ask if I was OK. You stopped telling me you loved me, which hurt so much when all I wanted was to hear how much you did. You put me second, sometimes third or even fourth. You called other girls beautiful when you didn't even call me that. When we argued we didn't even try to talk things out... You just gave up and said we're not talking about it. You never made any effort to meet me when I tried to get us to. You hated my friends, which should've been a sign. Your friends hated me, which should have also been a sign. You took days to reply, and yes, I get it, you're busy, but I'm not a last priority. You judged your past relationships and thought I was the same when you knew I wasn't. You judged me based on what your ex did when I was not them. You gave me no effort because you knew I would keep coming back. I talked about you like the stars in the sky, but I bet you didn't even mention my name. Let's not mention how you loved me and someone else; does that count as cheating? You didn't physically do anything (not that I know of), but emotionally I wasn't the only one.

Even though what I just wrote reflected the bad, I wouldn't have loved you if there was no good about you.

I remember the exact time I realized that I loved you. I'm not going to share that time, but I remember. You were so open with me about things; I was the one you used to tell everything to and vice versa. We were so different, opposite in every single way to be exact. I loved you because you didn't care what anyone thought. You were the funniest person I knew. You made me smile just by being you. You let me in when I knew that was so hard for you. You opened me up in so many ways. You changed my opinions and showed me new things. I'm not going to bash you in any way because for almost the last year you were everything I wanted, and even though you hurt me you don't deserve that.

That brings me to this; maybe us coming into each other's lives was needed at the time for both of us, but even though it's taken me a while to admit it maybe that time is over. I'm not what makes you happy anymore even though I try to be. You want who you want and I can't change your mind or heart on that. You deserve all the happiness in the world. You deserve everything I did for you and more. You deserve to be endlessly happy. You deserve to never cry. You deserve to never be sad over wondering if you matter. Even after everything you deserve the world, but so do I. I deserve everything I gave you, and didn't get back in return. I deserve someone that asks if I'm OK and how my day was. Maybe we aren't right for each other right now, maybe ever. But no matter what the case is I wish you the most happiness. I'll always love you, but maybe we both need to move on (I think you already did, so this is mainly at me, LOL). Just please, don't make the same mistakes you did with me with the next person; they may be who you're meant to be with and you don't want to ruin it. Thank you for everything, the good and the bad; because of you I've changed and I appreciate it.

I don't know if you'll read this, but I will always love you.