A Letter To The American People

A Letter To The American People

We the people will learn.

24
A Letter To The American People
Wall Street Journal

11.9.16

A Letter to the American People,

President Donald Trump has won the election, to the disbelief of many. Many are unsure of what to do. Some are rejoicing that Trump has given them a voice that can finally be heard. Others refuse to recognize Trump as their new President.

I try to view the presidential election from the eyes of a Trump supporter. Why did they vote for him? What am I not seeing in him that they see? I have come to the conclusion that there is nothing in particular they see as commendable, rather it is Democratic candidate Hillary Clinton that they cannot come to terms with. Rejecting her at all costs, they settle on Trump.

Personally, I believe that President Trump has wronged his American people already, before he has even made it into office. I want to apologize to American minorities, including all ethnicities other than caucasian, all women, and the LGBT community for the entirety of the white supremacist population who has decided that Trump’s degrading words are not enough to hinder his claim to the presidency. That is not to say that all those who voted for Trump are racists, but I do say that they certainly voted for a racist president, and in doing so, they ultimately are grouped into the supremacist society. The President has certainly wronged you, but even more than that, the white supremacist population has wronged you.

I would be wrong if I didn’t acknowledge that Hillary Clinton is also not the ideal candidate to become president. I know there have been better democratic candidates than her. Nevertheless, Hillary Clinton is not the President-elect. Donald Trump is the president-elect.

The American population has become divided. Many hateful hashtag trends have been circling twitter and Instagram, such as #NotMyPresident. Many have expressed, #StillWithHer. I just received a facebook invitation to a “Boston Against Trump Rally.” Over 1,000 people have responded that they are going.

I urge the American people to take a step back and take a deep breath.

It has been said that America is defined by “we the people.” We are known for and are prided on our differences. “A melting pot,” we have been described as; a blend of people, all different--in looks, practices, and beliefs. I encourage all to remember why we vote in the first place: for a better future. That is one thing that we all have in common, and it’s the strongest of all things. We just want what’s best for our families, our friends, and our communities.

I firmly believe that these next four years will be a learning process for the American people. Many believe that with Trump as President, we will return to our “glorious past,” while the other half remember Jacob Riis and his heart-wrenching photographs which exposed how the “glorious past” was only glorious for a select few.

Either way, the vote is in. President Trump is our next President, and he will “Make America Great Again.” And so we will stand together, and we will learn together, and we will meet back here in four years. And by that time, maybe we will have learned.

I do believe that Trump became President for a reason. Maybe that reason isn’t clear just yet. I don’t think that the #BlackLivesMatter and other minority campaigns, all happening at the same time as Donald Trump being elected President, is a coincidence. I think that big things are to come, and Black voices will be heard. I believe that President Trump, as well as America, will finally learn. For years now, debates have taken place where we have argued whether or not racism is still thriving in America. Our current President proves that it does still thrive. But maybe his election was in the cards for a reason, to somehow bring to the surface all the problems that we have been brushing under the rug since Jim Crow. I believe this will be a good thing for Americans.

While this process is taking place, please remember that we are American. And even though you may not agree with the face representing our country, it is the people underneath who will dictate how America will be perceived. Trump’s election into the Presidency does not give anyone the excuse to carry out acts of hatred, or violence. Please remember that from the birth of America, the people inhabiting it have always wanted nothing more than to contribute to a better future. Violent or hateful acts will not contribute positively. I will remember that my best friend is a Trump supporter, and I will remember that my teammate is black, and I will remember that my cousin is a feminist, and I will remember that my classmate is gay. I will remember that we are all American, and we all innocently want a better future.

Continue to hold the door open for a passerby, continue to pay for the order behind you in the drive through at Dunkin Donuts just because you’re a nice person, continue to smile and say “good morning” to people in your building. Continue to spread the love. The world is not over. We will continue to move forward as a country--we may be taking the long way, but we will get there.

Keep living your daily life while upholding the American values, and let’s meet back here in four years time.

Casey Traverse