A Letter To My Best Friend As We Go To College

Do we really have to separate?

709

Dear Best Friend,

We’re going to college! I cannot believe that we have made it this far, in our lives and our friendship. You have become one of the most important people in my life, and I am going to miss you terribly once we are separated. But I know that we will still visit each other. That’s what futons are for, right?

Over the past four years, we’ve created unforgettable memories and inside jokes that we could never manage to explain to others, even if we tried. I am so comfortable with you that I’m scared I may have forgotten how to make new friends. As a best friend, you’ve set some pretty high standards. I know I will make new friends and that you will too, but just know you are irreplaceable.

High school was fun, but college is going to be even better. I can’t wait for the new memories and experiences we will share together. Road trips, tailgates, football games and reunions will help me get through the difficult parts of the school year. Plus, now we’re rivals, which will make our friendship even more interesting (i.e. posting rival BFF Instagram pictures, throwing even more shade at each other, being really obnoxious when we beat the other). So everyone, get ready for all of this!

I hope you do well in your schoolwork and your social life, even though I know you will. I am proud of you, and I love bragging about you! If juggling all the responsibilities ever feels like too much to handle, I am just a phone call away. Even if you’re not overwhelmed, I am still a phone call away. Who knows? This new chapter of our lives might be what makes us actually want to FaceTime each other (doubt it). However we decide to communicate, I can’t wait to do it. I already have ideas for the letters and little care packages I can send you.

Right now, I am secretly jealous of your roommate and might even dislike her a little bit. This is just because I am protective of our friendship and wish that we were going to the same school so I could be your roommate. But I hope that the two of you grow close and become good friends, just as long as she does not replace me. (Just kidding, I think.) With that being said, if you ever need to get away for a weekend, my dorm is always open and the futon has your name on it. I’m already looking forward to meeting your roommate and hanging out when I come visit you, and I can’t wait for you to meet my roommate and hang out when you visit me.

It’s hard to believe that we are old enough to actually go to college and even harder to accept that we are separating. I will miss you more than I probably should, but I am excited for what happens next, whatever that might be. Don’t worry, Best Friend, you will always be my best friend, and I will always love you! Can’t wait to visit you!!

With love,

Your Forever Best Friend