Letter from A Police Officer's Child | The Odyssey Online

Letter from A Police Officer's Child

Stop the hatred because they're the real-life super-heroes. Let's give some honor and respect.

135
Letter from A Police Officer's Child
Thin Blue Line

Dear America,

I have kept quiet for the most part in regards to society's anti-police mentality. Sadly, we live in a time where it is downright dangerous to be a police officer. I think it is now about time that I, a police officer's daughter, share my thoughts about this situation.

My entire life, my father has been a police officer. It is all I have ever known. He is an NYPD Lieutenant, going on 30 years of service. I try not to think too much about his job or the crazy events going on in today's world. I admit I truly take for granted that he comes home after every shift. Up until now, I suppose I've been able to overlook the danger he faces every day, but in recent years this has been hard to do. I never really recognized that people may hate him because of his occupation and the uniform he wears.

Do they know him? The answer to that is NO, they don't.

People have forgotten the importance of this job. People are turning against the police and are becoming less appreciative of the goodness that the majority of officers have inside them. They forget that officers have a heart and a conscious and a family to come home to just like they do. People neglect that this job represents the law and that all are equal under the law.

As a child of a police officer, I cringe when people say "f*ck the police," even if they are just joking. It makes my heart sink that society thinks that it is okay to say and to joke about. I'm in awe at the lack of respect.

As a child of a police officer, my heart sinks when I see on the news that someone in the blue family has been shot and my heart goes out to any family that ever has to endure this.

People fail to recognize that police officers are there to help them. There have been many holidays, family occasions, my father has missed spending with his family to work protecting the lives of others. Police officers work long hard hours, day in and out to protect the very people that have rebelled against them, as well as those who have not. In my eyes police officers are not monsters, they are nothing less than heroes.

I write this article in hope that it will make someone realize that police officers are not the bad guys. I also write this article to thank those who have served or are serving as police officers. Lastly, I write this article to honor those who have been killed in the line of duty and to show that maybe more should Back the Blue because ALL LIVES MATTER.

Sincerely,

A Proud Child of a Police Officer

My dad and his fellow officers paying respect to one of their own.

The link below is a gofundme page that helps support the family of Sergeant Paul Tuozzolo, a 19-year veteran who was killed in the line of duty on November 5th, 2016. If possible, please donate to help his family during this time of need. Thank you!