A Letter To My Freshman Self | The Odyssey Online

A Letter To My Freshman Self

What I wish I knew four years ago.

8
A Letter To My Freshman Self
Thinking Moms Revolution

Dear Freshman Self,

They all say that college will be the best four years of your life, though I know you are not too sure about that. You’ve decided to go to a university out of state, and you don’t know anyone else. Heck, you’ve barely even traveled before, and now you’re driving a thousand miles away from home.

Would you believe me if I told you the most life-changing years have yet to come? You’re sitting in your dorm alone, planning out your classes to see how fast you can graduate—three years is the timeline you draw for yourself, with the hope of going to grad school and getting a high-paying corporate job in the city.

Just relax.

College isn’t meant to be rushed through. Ten years down the road, it won’t really matter whether it took you three years to graduate or six. What you will remember are the adventures you went on.

Say yes.

Even it is new and you are scared, always say yes to adventure. Move across the country, go on a cruise, travel the world alone, go on a spontaneous road trip. Don’t hesitate—it will always be worth it. These are the memories you will look back on fondly down the line.

Money isn’t important.

When it comes to picking a career, do not ever pick it based on the anticipated salary. Figure out what you truly love doing and go for it! Also as a side note, no matter how many episodes of Grey’s Anatomy you watch, neurosurgery is definitely not the field for you.

Grades are temporary.

Did you get a B- this term when you were hoping for an A? It is okay, I promise. Your GPA will not tank, and your future will not crumble before your eyes. As long as you aren’t consistently getting D’s in all your classes, you will be fine. If you try your best and put in the effort, results will always follow.

Visit family.

You will get caught up in school. You will be exploring another country. You will be working tirelessly. But make sure you visit your family at least once a year. And not just through college, but for the rest of your life. Little is more important in this life than the relationships you maintain with your loved ones.