A Letter To My College Best Friends | The Odyssey Online

A Letter To My College Best Friends

To the girls who make me laugh daily.

6
A Letter To My College Best Friends
Nichole Fernandez-Jurado

In high school, you had those friends you've known since kindergarten, but coming to college meant leaving them behind. Moving from Michigan to Wisconsin without anyone to turn to when I got there was hard for me. My best friends helped make it easier. You mean the world to me, so this is for you.

The hair flip squad...

I know we have only gotten close this year, but It has been the best year of my life. I wanted to take a moment to tell you just how special you are. I realized that in college you need a support system more so than in high school. You guys made me realize just how great I can feel every day, all I needed to do was trust. Coming to school freshman year, I knew no one. After meeting you at the end of freshman year, I could not imagine my life being any different. Having late-night dinners in the dining hall always lead to interesting conversations about our lives. This year, you taught me that there's more to life than having a ton of friends and that its better to have a few close ones that know you well.

As many friends do, we have our ups and downs but that is what brings us closer to the end. Having days when I just need a hug, I know I can count on open arms. Friendship takes work. To me it's a type of relationship that is most important in life. They are the ones that will tell stories about you at functions later in life.

Every day, talking to you in the group message or when I see you passing by is the highlight of my day. Living with most of you has been a blast and has bonded us in new ways. Knowing that we can all be ourselves always and not feel judged is great. So many friendships these days consist of being fake and with this, I know its different. We get annoyed with each other sometimes but in the end, we are always there for each other. You have seen me at my worst and my best. You helped me out when I got sick after getting a concussion. You are the best people I know.

All of us are goofy, weird, awkward and even crazy but we are all of those things together. We are all similar but just different enough to be interesting. I wouldn't change any of you for the world. You all taught me if I needed help to just ask and not try to always do everything on my own. You show what true love is and that is just being the person who will help you find your friend in the middle of the night when you have mono, the friend who if you need a study buddy they're always in, and the friend who will tell you the outfit you're wearing looks horrible and you need to change. Being a best friend is not always about being nice, it's about being honest, and girls, you are some of the most honest people I know. Even though we have other friends, we always end up talking to each other and telling stories about our friends back home and how much we miss them too. Thanks for being so fun.

As time goes on, I am even more proud to call you my best friends. Never change girls.