Let's Take a Stand
Let's Take a Stand
Nicole Lyons

Most people recognize the month of October as National Breast Cancer Awareness Month. However, it is also National Domestic Violence Awareness Month. "Domestic violence is the willful intimidation, physical assault, battery, sexual assault, and/or other abusive behavior as part of a systematic pattern of power and control perpetrated by one intimate partner against another." (NCADV) This includes physical, emotional, psychological, and sexual abuse or violence. The results of this violence can cause severe injury, trauma, or even death. One in three women and one in four men, equating more than 10 million people a year, have been a victim. Are you shocked by this? If so, let's take a stand and offer a hand.

Here are things you can do to help :

1. Donate

Any donation will support the efforts to end domestic violence and ensure that all victims continue to receive support and communication for the future. Here is where you can make a donation:

https://salsa3.salsalabs.com/o/51013/donate_page/n...

2. Wear Purple

Purple is the color of National Domestic Violence Awareness. By wearing purple, you are showing others how important it means to end domestic violence to you. You could even make your own T-shirt or any other article of clothing. Additionally, there are websites that offer Domestic Violence Awareness apparel and many of the companies have the proceeds go to Domestic Violence foundations.

Here is where you can buy Domestic Violence Awareness apparel:

http://shop.ncadv.org

http://nomore.org/shop/

3. Volunteer

Volunteer your time with your state coalition or local program. If you are attending school or college, there may also be events that you can attend of help out at.

Here is where you can find a program near you:

http://nnedv.org/resources/coalitions.html

4. Speak Out

Sociologists say, the more a society discusses a topic the more prevalent the issue can become; increasing the stigma of domestic violence. If you or someone you know is involved in domestic violence, speak up. Here is the National Domestic Violence hotline for those in need of help:

1−800−799−SAFE (7233)

For deaf and hard of hearing: 1−800−787−3224.

5. Join the National Week of Action

The National Week of Action is a week long event that promotes the Awareness foundations and collects money to support them in aiding victims. The events that take place during this week consist of survivors and advocates discussing stories, movie night or other similar events, writing about an experience or a story that you have to tell, and celebrating those who have survived and tips on how to catalyze the ending of domestic violence.

Domestic Violence is a serious matter. According to the National Coalition Against Domestic Violence, nearly 20 people are physically abused by and intimate partner per minute in the United States. This statistic is beyond displeasing. If you or a loved one is involved in an abusive relationship, please call the hotline above. You are not alone and you can be helped.