Let The Curtain Rise | The Odyssey Online

Let The Curtain Rise

A new life to the community that helps others

13
Let The Curtain Rise
Mike Dickie

It was December 1st. I get a notification in Facebook reminding me that I have an event today, The Croswell Hard Hat Tour at five o’clock. A special event for any person who was part of Croswell cast, crew, orchestra, and volunteers (or as I like to call them, Crosdwellers) to come check out the progress of the renovations that have been happening since Spring of 2016.

I, myself, have been a Crosdweller for almost 4 years, since my first show, “Father of the Bride” in late February of 2013. I have played the role of stage crew, build crew, office worker, actress, and assisted in props, and lighting design since that time so I was enthusiastic to see the changes that were being made, similar to a 2nd grader who was excited to see their new classroom at the beginning of a new school year.

My classes were simple, due to the fact that exams were next week so I went to the library and began to research my final projects, but my mind began to wander and reflect on the Croswell and our history. Finally 5:00 rolled around. I gathered my things and drove to the Croswell. I walked through a side door and into the work-in-progress building. I hugged some friends, talked to those I knew, then followed Steve Krause as he led a tour through the site.

Before the renovations, the building wasn’t easily accessible if you were handicapped. You could only sit on the main floor, the concession stand counter wasn’t low enough to be able to comfortably serve those in wheelchairs, and someone handicapped couldn’t be hired in as office staff due to the stairs leading to the main office. These new renovations would include solutions to these problems. The concession counter would have a lowered middle section for easier access, there would be a wheelchair lift to lead to the main hallway, and there would be an elevator leading to the balcony connect to the office spaces.

A renovation that I am personally excited for as an actress is the new rehearsal room. The rehearsal room I always knew was small. We were constantly having to re-block our staging when switching from the small room to the larger stage. Beneath the rehearsal room was a small area where concessions were served and people would wait before shows, and any time there was a rehearsal going on while a show was about to start we could hear the music playing from upstairs and the ceiling would shake from people stomping or leaping during dances.

The new rehearsal space would match the space of the stage. There was a special floor installed to help absorb the noise and impact of people landing. Also, several tall mirrors will be put in, along with a curtain that can be pulled across the mirrors so the new, large space can be used for children's performances and teaching classes.

Connected to the main rehearsal room, there will be a smaller room with a grand piano so people can work on vocals while a different scene may be taking place during rehearsal. Another change is the tech booth. There will be a booth centered on the main floor instead of having two separate tables for lighting and sound. Looking around at the skeleton of this place, I remembered why I love it.

I was sitting in the audience of “Leading Ladies”, watching my grandmother when I decided that I wanted to audition for shows. I was in the offices when the staff threw me a birthday party with toy blocks spelling out my name, breakfast pizza, and a Napoleon Dynamite picture that said “Heck yes, it’s your birthday. Flipping sweet.” and they had no way of knowing that earlier that morning the one person who was originally able to go see a movie with me to celebrate had texted me saying they couldn’t go, or that none of my friends had even noticed it was my birthday, and because of that I had showed up to the office feeling like I wanted to cry , until they called me upstairs saying that copies needed to be made to surprise me.

I was on that stage when Kelvin was there until one in the morning, teaching me about lighting, programming, he let me assist him with “Sweet Charity”, and even encouraged my involvement by asking my opinion for colors to use in the scenes. He taught me more than just lighting, but to have patience with an annoying 17-year-old constantly asking questions because he was passionate about his work and wanted it to spread to those willing to learn.

I was in the blue rehearsal room when Betsy Lackey gave me the important lessons in loving myself, growing as an artist, and being a good, giving person. All these memories are ones that I will never forget. I carry them with me and when I feel like giving up and leaving the struggles behind, I remember those who didn’t give up on me.

Each and every Croswell employee has made an impact in my life that has given me an edge. Before going to college I didn’t realize quite what an advantage I had because of the amazing people who taught me more than just how to work in the theatrical world. These are the people that you don’t always hear about in the reviews of shows in the Daily Telegram.

Ashley Brainerd taught me how to transfer calls, reserve tickets, and to put in the work that’s more than needed. She puts value into each interaction with patrons and even had a smile on her face after dealing with difficult customers. Seeing her constant positivity radiate had an effect on my pessimistic being. She has a quick wit and constant reassurance that is uplifting. She knows that smiling through the storm is nice, but if you can crack a joke and laugh the wind stops howling altogether.

Erik Gable has a creativity that isn’t always recognized. He has brought so much unity and artistic creativity throughout Adrian with events that build up the people of this wonderful community. By co-creating First Fridays and serving on the committee of Art-I-Licious he’s provided events promoting the arts, and when he first came to the Croswell, he fit right in. He’s a uniting force that taught me there’s no limits on my potential for creative solutions, and that united is stronger. The events he’s planned and articles he’s written provide more than information, they provide fields of solidarity for a community in times of discord.

Emily Gifford puts her passion into two aspects of Theatre, performance and costuming. She taught me that I don’t have to chose one or the other to be successful. She fills each role and job with grace and dedication that never waivers. To her, whatever task she has doesn’t matter, she pursues all with everything she has. She’s not one to quit when the going gets tough, or if the circumstances change. She fills her work with pride and taught me to do the same.

Sarah Henry is a joy to be around. She taught me to be realistic, yet have a sense of humor that is applicable in most cases. Her creativity of designs for shows are original and remarkable, and as an actor I always wanted to live up to the hype she created with her posters and ads. I have a habit of going out of my way to pass billboards that are put up for shows just to see what she came up with. She also taught me that every day is a good day for a joke. Sometimes that may be the only thing that makes it a good day and that’s okay.

Not many people would encourage or trust an erratic 16-year-old girl with power tools, but Keith Holloway took the time out of his busy schedule to teach me how to work with my hands without injuring myself. Yes, there were a few cuts on my hands and bruises (a natural state of being as a klutz), but he just encouraged me to not linger on what hurt and look at the beautiful creations that were now sitting before us. That taught me that while sometimes something may hurt a little, the final creation can be something so stunning the pain is worth it.

Kelvin Roberson was once an intern at the Croswell like I was. Over the years, he grew as a technician and designer and encouraged the others around him to grow as well. He taught me that the best way to learn is to do. He gave me the hands on experience that helped me become very advanced in tech theatre for my age. He encouraged the idea that just because I was young, that didn’t mean I wasn’t capable of great things and good ideas. He sacrificed a lot of his time to teach me the necessities, even if it wasn’t part of his job.

Stephen Krause taught me that my career shouldn’t be a painful endeavor, and that I should find joys in my work/life (he also taught me that I shouldn’t leave my Facebook logged on to one of the work computers, but that is another story). Even when I had sprained my ankle, he taught me that I should laugh at the story of how it happened, instead of being ashamed that I sprained it at ten at night chasing a chicken. He showed me that laughing at myself can actually help my confidence skyrocket.

Michael Lackey is the epitome of strength. This man is not only brilliant painter, but he graces us with his positivity. Everyone has setbacks, but to witness him fighting and working despite any issues that have come his way serves as an inspiration to me that no matter how bad I may feel or things may seem, hard work, and fighting tooth and nail, can push us farther than we’ve ever thought. I know that even when I’m so frustrated that I may shout an unnecessary word, if he’s in the immediate Michael will make me laugh with his response “HEY!..... *quieter* I heard that.” He inspires everyone to be strong and fight for what they want. He also encourages my lame jokes, which is something that shouldn’t be supported, but I digress.

I have John MacNaughton to thank for my obsession and success in the technical aspects of Theatre. When I first walked through the doors of the Croswell, I had little acting experience, and no experience in tech. It only took a simple statement “I was hoping to learn more about tech.” for John to pull me into the fray and teach me about the various aspects of Theatre that is overlooked. He taught me to channel my creativity and harness it into something useful, and that sometimes you have to approach a problem from several angles before finding a perfect solution. He started me off simply helping around the stage, then moved me up to assisting with props for shows like “Oliver” and “Catch Me If You Can” and before I know it, I’m standing on the fly rail, directing my own stage crew, preparing to fly out a lit up cross in “Leap of Faith” as Stage Manager. He showed me that you always have to start somewhere, but that start that may seem irrelevant can lead to endless opportunities. He works very hard to give opportunities to those who show that they want to show what they’re capable of and give them a chance to start. He has opened many doors for me and I will be forever grateful.

Artistic Director, Jere Righter, is the one who helped start me on this whole journey. From the moment she signed the papers my Sophomore year of high school, enabling me to come to the Croswell as part of my schooling, to this very day where she still provides me with opportunities to work and perform in the place I love. She puts her all into each and every production that takes place on that stage, and for every patron that walks through those doors. Everything she does is for the advancement of the Croswell and she has helped the Croswell grow into the beautiful haven that it is. She taught me that a good action, no matter how small it seems, can make a world of difference for someone and have a positive effect. She does everything in her power to make the greater good happen and inspires those around her to do the same. Even her dog, Olive, is a wonderful mascot that brings laughter and smiles to those she encounters.

Each and every one of these people have helped evolved the Croswell into the exquisite jewel it is. The hard work that has been put in every day has led to these huge renovations to keep the Croswell alive and well. To stand in the bareness of the Croswell on December 5th, envisioning everything she will be, and remembering everything she was, I realized that these people are not always aware just how much of an impact they have on our lives. The Croswell has changed me for good (it’s an article about a theater, I practically have to add a Wicked reference) and she will continue to change everyone who passes through her doors for years to come. Thank you for everything you’ve given me, and everything you will give to those who need it the most. Let the curtain rise so we can see what’s in store for this gift to all.