I'm Learning To Let Things Go, Trying To 'Get Even' Is Draining And Not Worth My Time | The Odyssey Online

I'm Learning To Let Things Go, Trying To 'Get Even' Is Draining And Not Worth My Time

Life is better lived when we focus on what's happening within us versus whats happening around us.

206
me

I am learning what it really means to walk away from something or someone. The feeling of wanting to hurt someone the way they hurt you is pointless, petty, and immature. I am mastering the ultimate sign of maturity and starting to walk away.

The draining feeling I get when I react to bad news, drama, and conflict has taken its toll on me. I can not do it anymore. It has stopped me from seeing the other good things in life. I am learning that I am not meant for everyone and I will not be treated the way I treat other people, and that is ok. That is life. That is not an excuse to react.

I am learning that "getting even" or "winning" is draining and not worth it.

Friendships, relationships, and affiliations are not a competition. There will never be a winner.

I often times find myself spewing anger about people who I have a conflict with. More than often it turns into "If I do this, they win." That is wrong. There will never be a winner in my conflict situations because winning never guarantees happiness. I want happiness and peace with conflict situations. Not bragging rights.

I am learning to be ok with losing, learning that my contentment is more important.

I am learning that being less reactionary does not mean I am ok with what went wrong but am choosing to rise above it. I am learning and ultimately choosing to be the bigger person. Always. I am choosing calmness in a world of chaos. I do not need more drama. I do not need to feel inferior. I do not need fights, arguments, or altercations. I am learning that saying nothing at all is better than ever saying anything.

I am learning to take control of my emotions.

Reacting gives someone else the power. They are my emotions, not yours. I can not control what others think, but I can control how I respond and handle the situations.

I am learning that life's disappointments are there for a reason.

For learning experiences.

To teach us that somewhere along the way, we will handle it better and not be disappointed.

Reacting won't change anything. It will not make someone suddenly love me again, agree with me, or even dignify me. It is better to just let things be, let people go, and let life happen.