Let Fear Wake You Up | The Odyssey Online
Politics

Let Fear Wake You Up

Thoughts and prayers aren't enough anymore.

27
Let Fear Wake You Up
Heavy

We live in a cold, terrifying wold. A world where children going to school are in danger, an artist meeting her fans is at risk, and people are discriminated against and shot at because of the people they love.

What happened in Orlando on June 12 was truly a tragedy. Over 50 people were killed and 50 more were injured. It's okay to feel scared and sad for the lives lost. It's okay to pray for the people killed. It's okay to cry. But if that's all we do, we are letting all of those people down.

Right after it happened, I remember a lot of people saying that this was a terrorist attack. It was not. This was a hate crime against the LGBTQ+ community. The shooter was a homophobic, American citizen. A terrorist would not target a gay nightclub at two in the morning.

The LGBTQ+ community takes a lot of crap. Some parents disown their children after they come out. They get made fun of and beat up in schools. For a long time, they were denied the right to marry. Now they're getting shot at and killed. Why? For being who they are and loving other people. Even though there is all of this darkness surrounding the LGBTQ+ community, it is still one of the most beautiful things on Earth. They are so accepting of everyone and everything. Instead of spreading hate, they spread love--even after everything that's happened to them. They fight hard for what they deserve and for what other people deserve.

Now it's our turn. As straight people, we are privileged. We don't get shot at because of the people we love. We don't get denied marriage licenses. We don't have people protesting at our funerals saying our loved one is going to hell. The LGBTQ+ community has been so strong for so long. It's our turn to be strong for them during this difficult and scary time.

Here are things that you can do.

1. Write to your Congress representatives about gay rights and/or gun control.

Congress's job, in simple terms, is to make laws. All the people that make up Congress are supposed to represent each state. In order to represent us accurately, they need to know what we want. Write to your Congressmen and tell them how you feel about gay rights and gun control. It might not seem like one email won't do anything, but if thousands upon thousands of us send just one email, it will make a difference.

Find your representative here.

2. Message every LGBTQ+ person in your phone.

Offer your love and support to the people that you do know. Be their shoulder to cry on. Just listening can go a long way. And if they don't want to talk, don't pressure. Just knowing that you're there for them can mean a lot.

3. Donate money.

If you have some extra money, please donate to the Orlando Shooting Victims or the LGBTQ+ Community.

4. Stay informed.

As more information comes out about this tragedy, it's important to keep up with it all. Know the difference between what really happened and what politicians want you to believe.

Learn how your Senator voted on gun laws,

"After Sandy Hook We Said Never Again. And Then We Let 998 Mass Shootings Happen" : This article is about the mass shootings in the USA since 2012 and gun control. The numbers are chilling.

"Why We Must Call the Orlando Massacre an Anti-Gay Hate Crime" : This article lays out why it is so important to call the Orlando Massacre what it was, a hate crime. Unfortunately, hate crimes are not as uncommon as you think either.

"Australia Stopped Mass Shootings After 1996 Massacre, So Why Doesn't the U.S. Follow Suit?" : Believe what you want about gun control but you can't deny that Australia's laws work.

Stories of the Victims : This article is extremely difficult to get through without tearing up. It's filled with heartbreaking quotes and stories that ended too soon. Even though it's difficult, it's important to remember and honor those who were killed.

"What It Costs To Be Gay In Public" : It's hard, for a straight person, to imagine what someone in the LGBTQ+ community must be feeling at this point. While there is no way we could ever fully understand it, this article gives us an idea of what it feels like.

"Please Don't Stop The Music" : Don't you dare stop being who you are because you're afraid. Don't let the gunman win.

"How Queers Are Using Joy To Heal in Orlando" : This article brought me a lot of hope. While there is so much sadness in the world, there is also great joy which is important to see during this time.

***Most of this information was found on Tyler Oakley's video, "Rainbow Road: Being Gay After an Anti-LGBTQ+ Massacre & What We Can Do Now." Very, very powerful video.