Lessons Learned from the Cats at the Humane Society | The Odyssey Online

Lessons Learned from the Cats at the Humane Society

A kitty is worth a thousand words

8
KSPR & U Turn Studios

For my Freshman Foundations class we were required to do four hours of comminuty service. While most of us moaned and complained, the second the assignment was announced I immediately signed up to go to the Humane Society. What else could be better than walking doggies and playing with kittens? I spent two hours there, but I can promise you there will be many, many, many more. Little did I know that the cats did more for me than I probably did for them. This is what I learned from the cats at the Humane Society.

1.) No matter what your circumstance is, you are capable of love.

This little cat named Axl is my absolute favorite. I can assure you if my dad ever let me get another cat it would be him. This little guy is over looked by everyone because of his eyes.

Hes slightly blind out of his right eye, but it doesnt stop him from wanting your absolute attention.

2.) Sometimes providing therapy to others provides therapy to yourself.

I came in here down in the dumps, but I knew that no matter what was going on in my life it was nothing compared to theirs. There is absolutely nothing in this world more theraputic than 20 cats dying to play with you.

This little kitten ran me wild. Just catching up with her was a struggle. Even though she had several toys she could have played with all she really wanted were my keys.

3.) Don't fear rejection.

Some people come in here not understanding what these animals may have gone through. I had cats hiss at me and try to get as far away as possible, but you have to know that just becasue an animal is scared of you doesnt mean you should be scared of it.

This is Sweet Tart. She is a big ole Maine Coon. The second I walked into the room she made it known that she wanted to get out and walk around, but when I took her out she ran to the nearest corner possible. I sat there with her, just talking to her. Eventually, as you can see here, she decided to get out and check everything out. **Side note: If you have never cuddled with a Maine Coon cat you need to do so ASAP.

4.) Appearance has nothing to do with personality.

Once again, Axl was the absolute sweetest cat in the world. He knew me for a solid 5 minutes and wouldnt leave my side. Just because a person or an animal looks a little rough doesnt mean it won't love you unconditionally.

These cats are all up for adoption at the Humane Society of South West Missouri along with countless other great animals. If cats arent your thing then check out the dogs! You might think youre rescuing an animal, but chances are they will be rescuing you.

If you are interested in learning more about any of the cats about feel free to click here. http://www.swh.org/cat-adoptions.html

Learn more about the Humane Society of Southwest Missouri here. http://www.swh.org/about-us.html