10 Lessons In Happiness From The Scandinavians | The Odyssey Online

10 Lessons In Happiness From The Scandinavians

.Why Denmark is one of the happiest countries in the world.

237
wbur

According to research on positive psychology, there are three factors that influence a person's overall happiness. The largest factor is genetics, about 50 percent of our happiness is set by genetics. Surprisingly only 10 percent of our happiness comes from circumstances, the environment we live in and how much money we make. The other 40 percent of our happiness comes from intentional activity.

The Scandinavians are very intentional about their happiness in many different ways. The social welfare systems among the Scandinavian countries are good, their citizens feel less stress and worry because they have universal services provided to them. The secret to why Scandinavian countries are consistently rated some of the happiest countries in the world lies within their culture. Denmark has consistently been ranked the happiest country in the world above Norway, Sweden, Finland, and Iceland who provide similar welfare services to their citizens. So why is Denmark higher in happiness? Denmark is different because they intentionally promote happiness and simplicity through Hygge (pronounced Hoo-ga).

Hygge has no direct translation to English but it roughly translates to hominess and being content with one's environment. Hygge is about atmosphere and experience over owning things. Hygge is an inherently Danish practice but it can very easily be adopted in the United States. Meik Wiking, the CEO of the Happiness Research Institute in Copenhagen and author of The Little Book of Hygge laid out 10 practices that contribute to happiness through Hygge.

1. Atmosphere

Good lighting, a cozy clutter free environment, and good company.

Lighting is very important to feeling content in your environment. Instead of lighting a room with one large fluorescent light, fill dark spaces with multiple small lights. Utilize all the space that you have by keeping it clean and organized. Clutter contributes to procrastination and procrastination increases stress.

2. Presence

Where ever you are, be there.

Turn off your phone, take out your headphones, and be engaged in the conversation. Part of feeling content in your environment is living in it(not living through what others are doing on social media).

3. Pleasure

The Danes encourage taking breaks to increase productivity. In Sweden this is called Fika. Pleasure means taking time for yourself to drink coffee or tea and maybe even adding in some treats.

4. Equality

Sharing the task.

Feeling empathy toward others and being respectful of their presence. Being mindful of the space you share with those around you. Hygge is for everyone.

5. Gratitude

Making the most with what you have available to you. One of the easiest ways to feel gratitude according to the Danes is by spending time outdoors(walking or biking around town). Find a balance between sharing experiences with others and experiencing things on your own.

6. Harmony

Harmony is about enjoying your achievements on your own, theres no need brag. Practice connection over competition.

7. Comfort

Taking a break. Having a go to place to experience coziness(Hyggekrog in Danish).

8. Truce

Having cozy conversations that don't involve anything controversial(Hyggesnak). Practice having conversations that don't involve drama or politics.

9. Togetherness

Feeling connected to others.

10. Shelter

Your place of peace. A place where you can act and dress casual.

Hygge is starting to become very influential in the United States. Over 20 books on Hygge have been published in the last year including Meik Wiking's The Little Book of Hygge. However Hygge is more then just a trend, it's a lifestyle. What makes Denmark so successful in achieving happiness is being conscious of it. They use the word Hygge frequently to remind each other to be purposeful about how they are living their life. The best way to find happiness according the the Danes is to be intentional about it.