Leave The Natty In The Fridge: Take Your First Steps Toward Being A Beer Connoisseur! | The Odyssey Online

Leave The Natty In The Fridge: Take Your First Steps Toward Being A Beer Connoisseur!

There's a world of great beer, great people, and great places just waiting to be explored!

4
Schoolhouse Craft Beer

When we college students think beer, what do we think of? Why of course, we think of the old pisswater staples - Natty Light, Lionshead, that sort of thing. Let's be honest, there's absolutely nothing to them. They're always present at parties, but just because they're cheap and a little something to hold us over and keep our hand cold while we kill some time between shots. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm a frugal guy and I like cheap things. But there comes a point when you realize, "... Yeah, it's cheap, but... it's absolute shit. It's not even enjoyable." Now if you're more of a person for liquor or wine, that's perfectly fine and you can leave off here if you like. But if you think you're the sort of person who'd like to be a little more acquainted with the finer points of the beer of this world, lend me your ears.

There's nothing wrong with having an ol' favorite that's cheap and easy to come by - mine is Yuengling. But in the United States today, there is a burgeoning market of craft beers that can easily change the way you understand what beer is. So what makes a brewer of beer a craft brewer? According to Brewers Association, a craft brewery is a small, independent operation that has its basis in tradition (meaning it may take old traditional recipes that may even be thousands of years old and put their own signature twist on them). These breweries are the definition of a small business, and it's the spirit of small business and enterprise that has always been part of the American experience. Craft breweries are popping up everywhere, and they quite often become the topic of hometown or regional pride. The beers they brew may have a local connection, much in the way Baltimore's RavenBeer has a line of crafts dedicated to the city's morose and mysterious son, Edgar Allan Poe. Every city and even many small towns have their own local brewery. For all you know, there may be one right around the corner!

So of course, by trying out a local brewery, you're helping small business, stimulating the local economy, keeping it in the neighborhood and all that, but will you actually experience new and better sorts of beer? Ab. So. Lutely. The craft brewing trade is one that moves along through trial and error. A brewer might put in some new ingredients to an old favorite and find it didn't work out so well. But he/she may find that from a hare-brained idea, they made a brew that sold like hotcakes. You really get to see the way the market can influence the products of a small business this way. But with all this trial and error, you're going to find brews that you may never have even thought possible. Have a sweet tooth? Try DuClaw's Sweet Baby Jesus! Chocolate Peanut Butter Porter. Want a beer with some kick to it? Get yourself Dogfish Head's 120 Minute IPA, which weighs in at a hefty 18% ABV. Game of Thrones fan? That's right, Ommegang out of Cooperstown, New York has a line of GoT-themed beers (I've been hunting these brews down for a while, and each one is better than the last).

Since I've turned 21, I've been exploring breweries, bars, and pubs and trying to taste as many beers as I can. Honestly, it is a HELL of a lot of fun. You meet new people, visit new places, and just have a good time with an ale in your hand. As of right now, I've tried 145 distinct kinds of beer. How do I keep track of which ones I've had which I haven't? Yup, there's an app for that. This handy app called Untappd lets you record, rate, and take notes on each beer you try. My great uncle introduced me to it a while back, and it's one of my favorite apps now. It even gives you badges for certain achievements, like trying however-many amber ales, or having a beer at five different sports stadiums, or even having a beer on Leap Day. But overall, it's a great tool not only to explore the art of beer, but to share your favorites with your friends. If you get it, look me up! My username is FightOnState1863. As always, I encourage you to drink responsibly. Happy beer-hunting!