Learning To Appreciate The Little Things

Spending a week on a secluded island can teach you to appreciate a lot in your life.

80
Abbie Ryon

Every year, for as long as I can remember, my family has taken a one- to two-week vacation to a 7 mile island in Florida called Little Gasparilla Island (or, LGI).

LGI is a laid back community with very little resources. You can only reach the island by boat, and there are absolutely no stores whatsoever. The homes on the island are small and very rustic. While on LGI this past week, I started thinking to myself about all the things we take for granted in our society. These things include:

1. Fresh Water

Under our cottage, we have two 1,500 gallon water storage tanks. These collect rainwater from our gutters and store it under the house. This is our only source of fresh water on the island. We have to have extra water filters to ensure the safety of our drinking water and before you ask, yes we have run out before. There are some homes on the island who have regular city water, but they are few and far between. We take for granted our unlimited supply of water. On LGI, we have to conserve our water like it is a precious resource because, well, it is! Not having water changes a lot about the way you live.

2. Dishwashers and Washing Machines

Because of our water situation, we don't have the usual appliances one would expect in a home where you're staying for weeks on end. We've never had a dishwasher or a washing machine at the island. They use too much water. Every dish we use must be washed by hand, but don't you dare leave the water running while you're washing something! And if you get a stain on your favorite shirt? Just hope a tide pen can get it out until you can get home and actually wash it. I find it so hard to believe that much of the world lives without these appliances that seem so necessary to an American. On the island, you learn to appreciate some of your least favorite jobs, because they're a lot harder without the amenities we have at home.

3. Entertainment

Netflix. This is something we almost all have and use pretty much everyday. On the island, there's no wifi, barely any tv stations, and little to no cell reception. That means there's no Netflix, either. The hours of binge-watching "Parks and Recreation" or "The Office" become distant memories. Instead, you're forced to unplug and actually get to know your family. Every night, my family played cards and ate a family meal together. I finished three books. I took walks. I learned that entertainment doesn't have to be electronic. The best entertainment around is that of your friends and family.

4. Stores and Cars

You know those nights when you wake up and are craving something so much that you just have to have it, so you hop in your car and get it? Well that's not an option on LGI. The island is only accessible by boat and the only things on the island other than houses is a church, a library, and one firetruck (those are all about 4 miles north of our cottage). If you want a Taco Bell burrito at 3 a.m., you'd have to get up, get dressed, get in the boat, drive across the bay, dock the boat, get in your car, drive to a Taco Bell (the closest one is 15 minutes away), eat in your car, drive back, get in the boat, go back across, re-dock the boat, and go back to bed. That process takes about an hour, and that's only if you know how to drive a boat. If you can't drive a boat, you have to wake up someone who can, or wait until morning when the water taxi can pick you up. You definitely learn to appreciate the ease of suburban life when suddenly, every trip to get ice cream takes an hour and costs about $25 in gas.

Staying on LGI is tough. It takes some getting used to, but it's life-changing. You learn to appreciate the little things and love the simpler things. You grow closer to your family, you get to see wildlife up close and personal, and best of all, you get to spend time in your own little slice of paradise.

Take time today to appreciate the little things in life that we so often take for granted.