Learning From The Characters | The Odyssey Online

Learning From The Characters

How the Harry Potter series taught me something important.

46
Learning From The Characters
google images

Have you ever loved the characters from a book so much you were beside yourself? I sure have, but it took me a while to realize that I loved these characters so much because they had taught me a lot while I was reading their series. I am talking about Harry Potter, of course. I hope many of you will be right here with me as I detail how many of these beloved characters have taught myself and all of us some important life lessons. Before I begin, I want to send a huge thanks to author J.K. Rowling for dreaming up and writing these amazing characters.

Harry Potter

Harry taught me that you should chose your battles wisely. When something is worth fighting for, you should fight for it completely and with no regrets. Harry shows us that bravery is not just about stepping up for your beliefs, but being willing to continually stand behind your choices.

Hermione Granger

Hermione taught me that being smart is a good thing and sometimes knowing the answer can save your best friend’s life. She also shows us that being smart is not the only thing she has going for her. There are things just as important, like friendship and family.

Ron Weasley

Ron taught me that when you worry about something important to you, you usually make the situation worse for yourself. Ron also showed us that it is important not to believe everything you see, hear, and read. Sometimes people lie, but those that stick with us are the truest of people.

Neville Longbottom

Neville taught me that sometimes not being the most popular person is a good thing. He showed us that no matter who we are and where we are in life we can still chose to fight for what is right. He also showed us that sometimes bad things happen to the same person over and over just to make them stronger for the moment they decide to fight back.

Luna Lovegood

Luna taught me that being different is okay and nothing to be ashamed of. She showed us that just because you can’t see something does not me it isn’t worth believing in and that just because you believe in something doesn’t mean you can see it. She taught us that what you see is not always what you get and first impressions are sometimes inaccurate.

Ginny Weasley

Ginny taught me that you can’t fight your problems alone and if you hide them it makes matters worse. She showed us that to be an honest person you sometimes have to let go and show your feelings. She taught us that when in doubt turning to those you love can make a great deal of difference.

Draco Malfoy

Draco taught me that you cannot grow up until you have to face the impossible and realize you really do need help. He showed us that sometimes the choices we make for the right reasons, like protecting your family, can ultimately turn against us. He taught us that people can change if given the chance to see where they made their mistake originally.

Fred & George Weasley

Fred and George taught me that laughter is the best medicine. They also taught us that anything is possible if you have the nerve and gumption to go for it. These twins showed us that making light of a dark situation alleviates the fear of saying or doing the wrong thing in a bad time.

Albus Dumbledore

Albus taught me that respect is not the same as power, it is vastly more important. He showed us that you can have and show respect without using it against others. He taught us that power is just that, power, and should be used with care lest it be warped into something else.

Minerva McGonagall

Minerva taught me that good leaders sometimes take second place until the world is truly ready for their talents. She showed us that no matter who you are, you can stick up for those closest to you. She taught us that there is a huge importance to having honor and being honest.

Remus Lupin

Remus taught me that overcoming fear is possible if you believe in yourself. He showed us that sometimes the thing we fear most is living in a world full of fears. He taught us that sharing love in life is the biggest and best way to overcome your fear and move forward in your life.

Sirius Black

Sirius taught me that life is short and sacred. He showed us that life is happening right now, as I type this, as you read it… whatever you are doing, its life. He taught us not to waste your chance at a good life by waiting for the good stuff to come to you. Go out and find the good life, it's waiting for you.

Severus Snape

Severus taught me that reputations matter much less than intentions. He showed us that heroes can come from those people think the worst about. He taught us that the truest form of allegiance is purposefully hiding yourself and allowing others to believe the worst in you to accomplish a greater, better goal. He also taught us that everything is not always as it seems.

Tom Riddle (Voldemort)

Riddle taught me that the things you fear most are usually the things you don’t understand. He showed us that fear of the unknown can be your defeat. He taught us that it is better to live with love than to die without love.

Molly Weasley

Molly taught me that if you have a mother who loves you, appreciate her. She showed us that life is fleeting and you should cherish your family in any way you can because you never know if today is the day you may lose them. She taught us that sometimes cooking for a large group of those you love in a tiny kitchen is the best way to spend the day.

Arthur Weasley

Arthur taught me that it is okay to be curious and wanting more knowledge of that which is not understood is a good thing. He showed us that following the crowd is not important, but following your dreams is. He taught us that no matter how many questions you ask, someone may know the answer, even if the question is about the uses for a rubber duck.

Sybill Trelawney

Sybill taught me that not everyone is who they seem to be. She showed us that even the strangest of people can be right and true. She taught us that believing in that which others do not can sometimes lead to a greater understanding of the world around us.

Dudley Dursley

Dudley taught us that sometimes prejudices can be overcome. He taught us that all someone needs is a little forgiveness and understanding. He also showed us that you can’t choose your parents and no matter what you should love them, even if they show hate. He taught us that being nice can change the way others view you and change their own beliefs.

James and Lily Potter

James and Lily taught me that sacrifice is the greatest showcase of love. They showed us that sometimes there are things in the world worth dying for. They taught us that occasionally the only way to be remembered is to be brave and honest. If you believe in something, don’t step aside.