Learning From Chronic Pain | The Odyssey Online

Learning From Chronic Pain

People who have these types of challenges have the resilience to find the positivity, which they can use to still lead wonderful lives and do everything that they want to do.

11
Learning From Chronic Pain

When something hurts, it can be difficult to think about anything other than that pain. Usually, pain is temporary, and we can find ease in the fact that with the right care, the discomfort will eventually come to an end. However, whether it is due to an injury or a certain condition, some of us have physical pain that is present consistently throughout the day. This chronic pain can last anywhere from three months to a lifetime. The pain itself varies in severity and can be located anywhere on the body.

I personally have suffered from chronic headaches and frequent migraines since the age of about three or four, and most likely always will. It is very challenging sometimes to do everyday things such as work, school, and even cleaning the house while being in so much pain or so overtired from it. It can also honestly frustrating to not be able to enjoy certain days because the pain is too unbearable, and at times even depressing to imagine it always being this way. On the other hand, I believe that people who have these types of challenges have the resilience to find the positivity, which they can use to still lead wonderful lives and do everything that they want to do. These are top 5 things positive lessons I have learned from dealing with chronic pain:

1. Utilize good days, never procrastinate: There will be days when getting out of bed and being productive is impossible. You want to be able to have these days without them setting you back too much. Do not take the good days you have for granted, instead, utilize them to get ahead on work and to get organized.
  2. Not everything can be seen: Chronic pain is an invisible illness. Having it taught me that there are so many things that go unseen and you might never know what someone is going through. Most people do not know that I might be in severe pain unless I talk to them about it. This taught me to never assume things and to be nonjudgemental because there is probably a reason why someone is acting a certain way.
  3. Communicate as much as possible: In order to avoid absences that were unexplained, I learned to be upfront with teachers, professors, bosses, and coaches very early on with them about what I go through that it might cause me to miss things or to fall behind. This carried on to other portions of my life and gave me better communication skills with friends, family, and romantic relationships.
  4. Search for Optimism: It is easy to only think about the pain you are in when it is so overpowering. However, you can train your mind to focus on other things and put the energy that you do have towards accomplishing things and doing what you love. This allows yourself to be defined by your interests, your personality, and your relationships with others instead of just what you are going through.
  5. Practice self-care: I am constantly learning new ways to care for myself. I know how to be aware of when I need to rest, I cannot eat or drink, and exactly what measures I need to take to lessen a headache when it’s beginning its course. I have also learned how to advocate for myself about what my needs are, and to put myself and my health as my top priority.