8 Tips For Learning A Language Abroad | The Odyssey Online

8 Tips For Learning A Language Abroad

BECOMING more like a local and less like a tourist.

132
8 Tips For Learning A Language Abroad
Julia Hart

After spending a few months in my new home, Madrid, I have gathered a few tips for learning a new language that I would like to pass on. Not speaking your host country's language can be tough, but picking up a language can be a great way to become more like a resident and less like a tourist. After speaking with other students in my program, hearing about what others living in my host family's home have done in the past, and learning from the locals, I have picked up some of the best ways to learn a language, whatever level you may be. Rest assured, if you can learn the basics, the rest will follow.

1. Before going abroad, take an online course in the given language.

The most obvious tip there is, but online courses are truly a powerful tool. Some of my recommendations (taken from friends) are Rosetta Stone, Babbel, and Duolingo.

2. Listen to podcasts and current events/news in the language of your choice.

This is the perfect way to learn colloquial language and stay up to date on the country's happenings by following the news. Be careful though, as many news reports tend to be speak very, very quickly!

3. Live with a host family.

A personal recommendation. Since living with my host family, I have picked up the Spanish accent. I finally can understand the locals more clearly. This is also great for cultural immersion.

4. Make friends with locals in classes.

In my case, most of the Spaniards I sit with in class pick up on my accent and quickly turn the conversation to English because they're interested in learning it. But there are definitely compromises, such as me speaking in Spanish and the local speaking in English, or vice versa. This way, both parties benefit.

5. Find any excuse to talk to a local.

This is advice from my own Spanish professor. He gave the example of going into a store to ask about something you've seen on display. Striking up a conversation with a local is excellent practice.

6. Keep a journal and write down 10 new words you learn each day.

A Spanish man told one of my friends this one of the first days we arrived and it really resonated with me. Writing the words down can help you memorize them a little quicker and actually visualize how the word is spelled and maybe which letters you should emphasize. By the end of the semester, you could have thousands of words in your journal.

7. Do an event or tour in the language.

When we first arrived, the program offered a cooking class which I signed up for immediately. I am very interested in cooking so I knew many of the terms the teacher was using and this helped get me through the class. My friends and I have also done a boat tour in Malaga, Spain with a Spanish tourguide. Other ideas include a tour of the city, a wine tasting class, and a guided museum tour (either using a headset or with a personal guide).

8. Read. Read. Read.

It would never hurt to pick up a local newspaper or a classic written in the country's language. Reading will certainly help to improve your grammar and sentence structure. Once you have started reading, writing and speaking will become much simpler and your fluency is sure to improve!