Top 14 Most Random And Interesting Classes All UK Students Should Take

Yes, we have a class about tacos.

10220
St. Louis Public Radio

In light of the recent news circulating since Thursday, January 28, that UK will be offering a new class about tacos, students have been looking to sign up and adults (perhaps jokingly) have been asking where they could apply for the university. Yes, a class about tacos. But is the class about tacos the only interesting course that the university has to offer? Certainly not! Sure, this taco class may be the only one to satisfy one's craving for Taco Bell, but the university has quite a long list of interesting and random classes to offer for any student.

14. HIS 112 - The Making of Modern Kentucky

While studying at the University of Kentucky, why not learn about the history that brought this great state into being? This course examines the political, social, environmental and cultural history of Kentucky AND fulfills the UK Core Inquiry in the Humanities requirement.

13. GER 105 - German Film Today

For any film fans, here is another 3-hour course that satisfies a UK Core Inquiry in the Humanities requirement. The class is not meant to study the history of German film, but rather to examine film from a nation other than the United States.

12. JOU 101 - Intro to Journalism

While this may be a 3-hour class for beginning journalism majors, it is also a course that any student could enjoy. With simple writing assignments, a lot of 60 Minutes watching and an entire project devoted to talking about your dream job, JOU 101 is sure to please. Not to mention it's taught by Professor Buck Ryan, who even has his own slogan: When you're stuck, call Buck!

11. Intro to Architecture

While any architecture class at the University of Kentucky requires admission to the School of Architecture, it is still fun to fantasize a class by the famous "Teddy Westside," otherwise known as Ted Mosby. While this may not be "How I Met Your Mother," there are still plenty of other classes at UK that could rival Ted's lectures on his dating life and his class trips around New York City.

10. UKC 110 - Facebook Social Media

While this generation may believe that they know all there is to know about social media, this humanities class is sure to teach students something new with its focus on the complexity and techniques of social media and storytelling.

9. ENG 130-002 - Vampires on the Page and Screen

This class fulfills the UK Core Arts and Creativity requirement. It satisfies this generation's obsession with vampires by examining the roots of the myth and the modern significance of these creatures.

8. A-S 240 - Introduction to Photographic Literacy

Intro to Photography is another 3-hour class that covers the UK Core Art and Creativity requirement. In this class students learn the styles, genres, technical aspects and history of photography.

7. EPE - Theories of College Student Success

If you ever wonder why you're at college in the first place, this class is the one for you. This Educational Policy Studies and Evaluation course is an introduction into college theories of student development and the organizational structure of teaching. It also covers the UK Core Inquiry in Social Sciences requirement.

6. ENG 180 - Great Movies

This English course, taught by Walter Foreman, gives students the chance to watch a wide variety of, as the title says, "Great Movies." This class also breaks the fourth wall by examining actors that portray characters that must become actors for the other characters in the film. Sounds confusing? Maybe a little. But movies? Sign me up.

5. MUS 123 - Beginning Classroom Guitar

This class is a 3-hour credit devoted to building guitar skills as well as learning the history of the guitar. The good news? You need little to no previous knowledge about the guitar to enroll in the class.

4. PLS 240 - Introduction to Floral Design

This 3-hour Plant and Soil Science class also covers the UK Core Arts and Creativity requirement. Students not only learn the basics of assembling beautiful bouquets of flowers, but they also learn the business and global aspects of floral design.

3. HON - Honors

This category is an interesting class all its own. While Honors classes boast their ability to engage students on a variety of levels of creativity and innovation, they are also some of the most interesting, and for lack of a better word, random classes out there. The names of the classes themselves are sure to entice. An example? HON 252-001: Graphic Narrative - Wonder Women and Girls Who Kick Ass.

2. KHP - Kinesiology and Health Promotion

This is yet another category that deserves recognition all its own. From Zumba to badminton to swimming, KHP offers a 1-hour class for anyone interested in sports or staying in shape. There's even KHP 117: Scuba Diving, where students can study the first two phases in becoming certified as an Open Water Scuba Diver.

1. Taco Literacy: Public Advocacy and Mexican Food in the US South

This has been a recent favorite for the media. Yes, a class about tacos. While the students may be more focused on the making-and-eating-tacos aspect of the class, the class will also allow students to learn more about the social connection created by food.