You're Just A Word | The Odyssey Online

You're Just A Word

Two Sounds, One Syllable, Zero Meaning

24
You're Just A Word

"No."

Always, following this is something we can't do. Something we can't have. Something we can't become.

"No, that's impossible."

"There's no way that will work."

"No one can do that."

I haven't had the chance yet, but it seems like "no" is already starting to pose itself as a threat to my dreams. A barricade. Just another obstacle to my vision. Just another roadblock to my life and my future. So, I just have one thing to say to you, "no."

You are just a word.

You're only a collection of two sounds put together to make one syllable, something with about as much power as the word "the." You don't have power over me. You can't define my course of action and make me rewrite my daydreams.

The only thing holding me back is you, and that's only because I give you that power. But, if I take that power away, what can you do to me?

If that little power you have is suddenly removed, then what else is there to stop me? You wouldn't have the authority to break me anymore. You wouldn't be the cause of so much stress and tearshed. You'd just be a word.

A word without meaning.

Because, if you really think about it, that's all that you are. You're a word that hasn't got any meaning to it unless if the user gives it to you. But, do you realize how easy it is to take away that meaning? It removed your meaning in less than two seconds - and it can be just as easy for the rest of the human population.

The best way to combat it is to just ignore it. No means yes. Yes means opportunity. No means opportunity.

"No, you aren't cut out to be a writer."

But is it really difficult to be a writer? I love to write. I love people reading my writing. Yes, I know how to write, which is a privilege not many people in this world are blessed with. I might as well put my privilege to good use.

In sixth grade, my English teacher told me I was one of the best writers he had ever seen in his class. My History teacher called me a colorful writer. My classmates would applaud, they'd cheer me on. They wanted to read my stories.

"No, you can't get accepted to Ball State."

Yes, I can. Let me apply and watch me.

On September 8, 2016, I was accepted into Ball State University. I paid my enrollment fee and I am now officially a Cardinal.

"No, you won't able to win that trip to Washington D.C."

All it takes is a video. I know how to make a video. It's not too hard, just let me film it and try. Yes, I can do that much. I can try.

On September 30, 2016, I was selected from students all across the nation to participate in a leadership conference at Washington D.C. All expenses-paid. I was told I had one of the best video applications they had ever seen.

"No, you shouldn't be alive."

And yet, here I am anyway. There's no such thing as coincidence. But there is such thing as a destiny. Yes, I have a destiny. I feel it. I will pursue my destiny.

This is my future. Yes, it is my future. Nothing, not even the word "no" can stop me.

It's not hard taking away your power. You're just a word to me.

Nothing more than two sounds put together in one syllable. Something with as much power as the word "the." In fact, "the" has more power than you.

So yes, I can live my life. I can be free to make my own choices, to set my own path, to create my own fate. My own destiny.

No, you're just a word.

Two sounds, one syllable, zero meaning.

No, you're just a word.

And you have no power over me.