Joy Vs. Happiness | The Odyssey Online

Joy Vs. Happiness

Do you know the difference?

445
Joy Vs. Happiness
Shutterstock

Well if you’re anything like me you don’t…All my life I’ve struggled maintaining this constant feeling of joy, when in reality, all I was experiencing was happiness. I spent all my time looking for it in the wrong things and in the wrong people. I soon came to the realization that the emotion I was craving couldn’t be fulfilled by things or people of this world. It had to come from God. It was then, when I finally understood why this feeling of joy wasn’t constant; it was because I was only experiencing happiness, not joy. I had wasted all this time chasing after people and things to make me happy, instead of looking to God, when he was there the entire time. When I started forming a relationship with him, and began digging into the word, was when it all clicked. Joy and happiness are two totally different things.

We as humans constantly crave attention, love, and materialistic items, simply because that’s what the world has taught us to do. And just when we think we are satisfied, we want and lust for more. For the longest time, I made this mistake. When I thought I was experiencing joy, I was really only experiencing happiness- Don’t get me wrong, being happy is a great emotion to experience, but don’t make the mistake of relying on things of this world to make you happy. If you do, you will always be disappointed. Instead, thirst for something more; something that’s deep, firm and everlasting (J.P). Let yourself find joy in The Lord because his love never fails.

“The word “joy” comes from the Greek root word chara and means "to be exceedingly glad" (Houndmann).

Listed below are several definitions, that ultimately all have the same meaning.

• a feeling of great happiness
    • a source or cause of great happiness: something or someone that gives joy to someone
    • Happiness over an unanticipated or present good.
    • the expression or display of glad feeling; festive gaiety.

This particular definition about Christian Joy is my favorite.

“Joy is the settled assurance that God is in control of all the details of my life, the quiet confidence that ultimately everything is going to be alright, and the determined choice to praise God in every situation” (Warren).

If you noticed, happiness is not mentioned in this definition, because it is fleeting and temporary. But this type of joy is deep and firm. It’s a constant emotional response of the heart that is unconditional (Houndmann). God is full of joy and he wants us to serve Him “with joy and gladness of heart” (Deuteronomy 28:47). It is through his Holy Spirit that God shares and communicates His joy. Even when we encounter various trials, he says to consider it all joy (James 1:2).

This can be extremely hard at times, especially when you feel like your world is crashing down, but sometimes God lets you hit rock bottom for you to realize, that he is the rock at the bottom. If you let go and let God work in your life, I promise you that you’ll never be disappointed.

So…..how do you experience the fullness of God’s joy?

• Be led by the Spirit. Realize that what you’re chasing after isn’t natural, but spiritual. In order to experience this type of joy, also understand that it’s not just human joy; it is the very joy of Christ fulfilled in us. Let God’s joy “remain in you” and “your joy no one will take from you” (John 15:11; John 16:22). Ask the Holy Spirit to open your eyes and ears to things of the spirit, and not of this world. Seek his love and guidance!
  • Think of joy as a strong foundation for your life. Joy supports a variety of relations and emotions, including happiness. Proverbs 16:9 says, "A man's mind plans his way, but the Lord directs his steps and makes them sure." Don’t be discouraged in hard times, instead be thankful that God is preparing you for something better. Remember that nothing can stop the perfect will of God.
  • Know the difference. Happiness is a great thing to experience, but it is only an emotion. God never intended for people to in that emotional state all the time (Hooser). But joy is something that God offers to us that is constant. It is something people experience when they completely give themselves to God for His honor and glory. In fact, “the Bible uses the words “happy” and “happiness” about 30 times, while “joy” and “rejoice” appear over 300 times” (J.P). “But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law” (Galatians 5:22).
  • Don’t let the Devil steal your joy. Bad situations will come and go, but don’t let Satan steal your joy by making these things seem worse than they really are. Learn to thank God in the midst of your troubles, and praise him through the storm. Pray for boldness, and to be able to receive God’s peace. Romans 12:12 says “Be joyful because you have hope. Be patient when trouble comes, and pray at all times.”
  • Obey God. This is one of the hardest things to do, especially when it means walking away from something or someone. But if you delight yourself in the Lord, he will give you the desires of your heart” (Psalm 37:4).God knows what is best for our lives, and He will lead us into His perfect plan, if we give Him permission to do so. God wants you to experience happy times, but His greater desire is that you have unconditional joy (Hooser).

Life may not always good, but God is. Wake up every day saying "Today I will choose JOY!"

Warren, R. (2014, May 21). The Definition Of Joy. Retrieved July 13, 2016, from

http://rickwarren.org/devotional/english/the-definition-of-joy

Hooser, D. (2008, July 3). The Fruit of the Spirit - Joy: Foundation for a Positive Life. Retrieved

July 13, 2016, from https://www.ucg.org/the-good-news/the-fruit-of-the-spirit-joy-foundation-for-a-positive-life

J. P. (1986). The Fruit of Hope: Joy. Retrieved July 13, 2016, from

http://www.desiringgod.org/messages/the-fruit-of-hope-joy

Houndmann, S. Michael. Is there a difference between joy and happiness? (n.d.). Retrieved July

13, 2016, from http://www.gotquestions.org/joy-happiness.html