Journalism's Quandary - The Odyssey Online

Journalism's Quandary

If you are going to continue expecting good journalism, do your part to make sure journalists have the support to create it.

7
Journalism's Quandary
Unsplash

In this day and age, digital media is shifting from being created solely by professionals towards being created by amateurs and professionals alike. In a sense, the people consuming articles and memes on the Internet are the same ones creating them, thus establishing an interesting quandary for the modern journalist. How does one balance journalistic integrity- reporting the stories that need to be told- with public demand- reporting the stories that people want told- without losing profit?

It is no secret that media agencies, especially newspapers, are going through an economic transition period. Total revenue for the New York Times fell 3% between quarters in 2015, and digital advertising revenue is decreasing. While a decline of 3% may not seem like much, it points to a larger problem for journalism. Consumers would rather receive their information for free than pay for it, and now, they can. Twitter, Facebook, and other sites- social or otherwise- now allow people to surround themselves digitally with new information. Oftentimes, this information entrenches prior beliefs and may be faulty, as seen with recent reports of fake news on Facebook and its influence on the election. Social media sites allow people to access free information that does not challenge their belief systems, so why pay to have their ideas challenged by journalists?

Part of becoming a cosmopolitan, responsible citizen of the world is learning to interact politely with ideas that differ from one's own. It is important to ask questions and challenge established doctrine. Spotlight was written about journalists who did not stop until they uncovered their story, and news like that creates the foundation of America's culture and respect for institutions. In a way, the ability of the media to scrutinize the government and other organizations allows citizens to trust those same organizations, because they can count on the media to inform them of when someone has found a problem. Journalists do the hard work of uncovering pertinent information and presenting a range of opinions on said information to the public so that consumers do not need to gather data themselves.

At the same time, journalists do need to continue making money in order to be able to write their hard-hitting stories, and a lack of consumer interest in their stories will alter what they can and will produce. Odyssey judges its writers on page views, not content. Spotlight is once again a good example; the journalists at the Boston Globe had to fight against their editors in order to get permission to pursue a story on child molestation instead of lighter topics the public was more likely to read. Journalism operates off of demand, just like any other business, and it is time for consumers to realize that and step up to the plate. Sites like Twitter and Facebook have their uses, but it is important for consumers to be aware of the news they interact with and make an effort to support traditional TV and paper media.

Clickbait, while amusing, has a detrimental effect on the layperson's impression of journalism and its importance. Occasional articles about the "17 Cutest Puppies on Earth" or "19 Things Every Gilmore Girls Fan Knows To Be True" are an important staple of social media and the Internet today, which should not be overlooked. These articles provide a welcome respite from the often overwhelming reality that is today's impressive informational accessibility. At the same time, fluff articles should be balanced with hard-hitting reporting and meaningful opinion pieces. As with all things, moderation works best. For journalists to have the money and support necessary to produce these true investigative pieces, however, consumers need to read and demand more of them. Editors want journalists to write what will be read; consumers have a responsibility to make sure they are reading a range of topics and opinions if they expect journalists to continue to produce that range of articles.

Historically, citizens have not often needed to worry about the freedom of the press being infringed upon by the government. In general, the press has garnered respect for producing important stories, and the government has worked with the press to inform its citizenry. With the recent election of Donald Trump as the United States' next president, that status quo is beginning to crumble slightly. President-elect Trump's numerous threats targeting the press and his continued belligerence towards members of the media should have US residents concerned. The press needs to be free to publish the stories they deem valuable, whether or not the President agrees with the story. Reporters should feel free to investigate both positive and negative aspects of government without fear of retaliation. Consumers must back the press up on this issue and subscribe to news- even if it is only one paper or two TV channels.

Ultimately, the future of journalism will be shaped as much by those who read the articles as by those who produce them. Holding the government and other groups accountable relies heavily on a journalistic presence that refuses to back down until it has the full story. Consumers need to support the press, socially and economically, in order to continue receiving the same quality of journalism that they have come to take for granted. Purchase a digital newspaper subscription. Follow CNN or BBC on Twitter. Subscribe to your local papers. Read the uncomfortably real articles from respected news sources about the Syrian refugee crisis or the stock market. If you are going to continue expecting good journalism, do your part to make sure journalists have the support to create it.