The Journal of Professor Yeoman Geraldus

Entry #2

8

1st day of Nuxis in the year RH: 6739

Upon doing more research into the lake I have determined yet another peculiarity. Unlike most bodies of water that have a sloped bed leading up to their edge due to weathering, Glyph lake has only a steep dropoff that goes from the edge of it's shore to the bottom. Or so we presume it must drop to the bottom, though none have ever been able to see or probe out the bottom. It could be bottomless for all every scholar who has ever investigated it can tell. But that is very doubtful, in my opinion, and I think any who may hypothesize that are kooks. However, it is certainly a troublesomely difficult thing to do to measure the depth it seems. After a mere 10ft down any probe, such as an anchor or rod, seems to deteriorate and dissolve before it is of any use. But this lack of knowledge of depth is of less concern to me than the vertical slopes leading to the depths. Such a feature would be unlikely upon a natural body of water, and so I hypothesize that the lake must surely be made by man, elf, gnome, or other sentient being. Though this should seem obvious, other so-called experts in my field and related fields have the gall to entertain the absurdity that it is a natural occurrence and that its unique appearance and odd behavior are merely coincidences that others are overemphasize. So to prove this I shall perform some research into as many references to the lake across the history of Ecclesia.

The earliest references that I can find are from hieroglyphics and art of the earliest tribes of the Genasi. It seems that the Water Genasi had a great indemnity for and fear of Glyph Lake. Their art seemed to depict it as a dark omen and their tribes never followed any paths that got within a few miles of it. Beyond that though, they have little information. The Earth Genasi had very little about Glyph Lake in their artifacts left behind. What there was was merely maps that used it as a trail marker. The Air Genasi tribes treated Glyph Lake as something of magic importance that deserved reverence and caution. Where they got this notion and what importance they saw in it was either not recorded or did not survive the passage of history. The Fire Genasi tribes were most interesting in their interpretation of the lake. They seemed to idolize it, and the village closest to it became a spiritual center. This is most interesting because the Fire Genasi tribes abhorred water. But their depictions seemed to suggest that somehow the lake is an immense and powerful flame . I will be interested in attempting to find out what it was that led them to hold this belief. But alas, it seems all their interaction with the lake was entirely spiritual. Across all these resources however, it was clear that the Genasi tribes had not constructed the lake nor did they seem to have any recollection of what peoples might have constructed it. This is unsettling as there is no known sentient race to have inhabited the region prior to that. This could be an exciting discovery as it suggests that there may have been even earlier sentient races in or passing through Ecclesia a early as 2200BH.

This news excites me to no end! I shall perform an expedition and do a field study at the lake personally soon enough. I leave next week and should be there by early next month. I must begin preparations immediately!