The Journal of Professor Yeoman Geraldus

Entry #3

9

Read the Forward and Entry #1 HERE!

Read Entry #2 HERE!

8th day of Nuxis in the year RH: 6739

I boarded this filthy ship yesterday, but did not have time to tend to my journal. Captain Veris Shaladon seems competent enough, but his crew may as well be enlisted from a goblin hovel. They smell atrocious and have the worst character when it comes to taking commands. If not for the captain's own record, I would be fearful for my safety and life.

I have brought a small expedition team of myself, three student researchers studying under me, and a single bodyguard. I am glad to have found this bodyguard. She was a soldier from the harsh desert lands of the country of Barios. The country has since had it's military disbanded and has declined to a state of each individual city being out for themselves. Since then, most soldiers had taken up being guards, mercenaries, bounty hunters, criminals, or adventurers. Elizaba Bea took up the career of wandering adventurer, and it was my luck that when I put out word of needing a bodyguard, she took interest. She is a hardy woman who is renowned for her daring single handed defeat of a viscous desert drake. Though she is ill tempered and ill mannered, I cannot complain as my safety is my largest priority.

The region of Ecclesia that holds Glyph Lake is not very dangerous, but I would rather be safe than sorry. To the north of Glyph Lake are the dire animal pastures where the people of Ecclesia raise enormous versions of animals such as boars, and cattle to feed the people of the country and make offerings to the fire dragons on the island off the northern coast of Ecclesia. Then, the region that I will be in has been known to have aquatic Ogres, Goblins, and other Goblinoids. And to the south lie dense jungles full of Lizardfolk. None of these monsters would I ever want to meet without a good body guard.

My three students are hardly noteworthy. Two are the dullest students that I've ever taught, but they at least follow instructions well. The third is mildly intelligent but is far too ambitious and ready to jump to conclusions. He even thinks that Glyph Lake must be a mark left behind by one of the gods. His latest suggestion was that maybe it was something left behind by Nerull, the god of death. Pure absurdity! But I thought to bring him along so that I could see the look on his face when he was wrong.

We are a month away from reaching Ecclesia and then a week's carriage ride from their port city Free to where Glyph Lake is situated. I will cease journalling until then to conserve my journals pages and my ink well.