The Journal of Professor Yeoman Geraldus | The Odyssey Online

The Journal of Professor Yeoman Geraldus

Forward and Entry #1

7

If you find these documents, know that they belong to the esteemed Professor Yeoman Geraldus. I am one of the most highly acclaimed professors of arcane lore and history at the Grand University in Alderian. You should have no trouble locating me in order to return my journal. Simply head to the wondrous Magic City Alderian. From there you will see the university prominently placed upon the hill in the center of the city. And my reputation so precedes me that a mere mention of my name should be enough to generate directions to my office. You would also be more than welcome to come attend my classes should the subject contained within this journal peak your interests. I wouldn't bother reading too far into this journal. The contents of this journal are, quite frankly, none of your business and are my academic and intellectual property. But since I can do little to discourage your prying eyes after this page I will relent and hope that your simple mind will be ill equipped to steal my latest research. And if you do have the faculties to understand the studies contained within, then I would wish to encourage you to collaborate with me. Perhaps we may both achieve a collaborative victory for academia and the studies of the arcane through teamwork.

Within this journal I hope to record information that may help to resolve the historical, geographical, and anthropological mystery known as Glyph Lake.

45th day of Wuicus in the year RH: 6739

I am beginning this journal to serve as a record for my research into my latest obsession: Glyph Lake. Glyph lake is a well known body of water and marsh that exists near the geographical center of the island continent-nation of Ecclesia. It can be found about 52 miles up the northwest road from the capital city Inestria. Its name comes from the notably glyph-like appearance of the streams that flow through the marsh that surrounds it. Indeed, these streams are most peculiar, for there seems to be no rhyme or reason to the direction of their flow at any given moment. That they have a flow at all is ponderous as there seems to be no incline to the land it exists upon. It denies the laws of natural behavior and therefore must be magical. But that begs other questions: Why is it magical? Is it some naturally occurring spring of magical energy? Was it left behind by some long forgotten society? Or perhaps it is some relic left behind by deity or great magical monster? And why is the center lake so perfectly circular? The questions abound. So I, Professor Yeoman Geraldus, am going to put my great mind toward getting to the answers.

Here is a quick sketch of the lake and surrounding streams. One would never know this was the sketch of a body of water if not for the context of my writing. For a sense of scale, the center lake is approximately 6 miles in diameter.

I have sent birds carrying copies of this sketch to a number of my correspondents in various magical fields. I cannot make any sense of the runic markings created by the streams and ponds surrounding the main lake. Perhaps one of my peers will have insight.

For now I must preoccupy myself with historical research on this lake formation. Perhaps some clues lie in ancient records.