Joining A College Club Is One Of The Best Decisions Of Your Freshman Year | The Odyssey Online

Joining A College Club Is One Of The Best Decisions Of Your Freshman Year

Connect to your campus

244
Maxwell Silver

When you first show up to college, one of the first events is the club fair. This is when students sit at tables in the hot sun pushing their extracurricular group. It may seem overwhelming and slightly pointless, but there are reasons why schools push clubs on you so hard. Not only do the organizations benefit the students, schools also have much to gain from club participation. Students are more likely to come back the next year, they make more friends, students in clubs are often happier on campus and much more. Joining a club may be one of the best decisions you make during your freshman year.

Your first year can be very rough, especially if you don't know anyone coming into college (or maybe even if you do know people). Joining a club, especially for an activity or hobby you enjoy, is a great way to make friends and become more familiar with faces around campus. You'll probably want to check out as many as you can at first, even if you're only partially interested in a club. It's definitely OK to show up to one or two and never come back after—the first meetings are often seen as a way to test the waters. You should be able to find at least one or two clubs you like, but if that's not the case; try starting your own club!

One of the best parts of being in a club is the feeling of knowing you get to spend time with people every week. I personally look forward to my writing club every week; just going to a meeting makes my day better. Having a place where you feel like you fit in can be one of the hardest parts of college, especially in the first year. By having this steady stream of people with common interests, you'll find it's much easier to "fit in."

We as humans are innately social creatures and even if we don't like the people around us, we still feel good being around others. By joining a club, you are helping yourself socialize in your environment and overall benefit your well-being. If you're shy, put yourself out there, and if you are already outgoing, joining clubs will help you connect more on campus. So if you're having a rough first year, join a club! It might be one of the best decisions you make in your college career.