How To Find The Perfect Internship | The Odyssey Online

How To Find The Perfect Internship

Experience is key to success, start early by finding the perfect student internship.

20
How To Find The Perfect Internship

Applications for summer internships are right around the corner. This past fall, I was lucky enough to score an amazing internship out in Colorado—17 hours from my hometown. I’m here to share my experience on the internship search, application process, resume or cover letter building, and interviewing.

Finding the Perfect Internship

Stick to your interests but also make sure it ties in with your career path. For me, I am really into the sports industry so I definitely looked for internships that could allow me to see the other side of the sports industry. I’m also currently a Communications major so I made sure it would tie into that as well.

Personally, all I did to find my current position was google something along the lines of: “Best college internship programs.” My personal tip is to start early and research before you apply. Once I found an internship program I thought I’d enjoy, I immediately googled information about past participants, as well as, information on the company. Step two was finding out when applications opened. I knew I wanted an internship in the fall of 2016, lucky for me it was stated on the website when applications open.

I started my research mid-February, early March. YES…that early! Applications didn’t open until mid-June, early July but this gave me time to prepare all of my documents, improve my interview skills, and build my resume. So if you’re hoping to land an internship I’d start researching early.

One benefit of being a current student is that my university offers a course that helps with the internship search, as well as, resume and cover letter building. Personally, I didn’t take this course but if you feel like you’d need some assistance I’d recommend taking it.

Resume and Cover Letter Building

How your resume and cover letter look is actually extremely important. Employers look at the little details. I was able to assist with the hiring process for the Spring 2017 intern at my company and let me tell you, appearance and relative experience matter. Having a good connection or relationship could also play a slight role in the hiring process. Definitely make sure you are networking, you never know who has connections to some amazing companies.

Doing your research early allows you the time to build a high quality cover letter and resume. Most Universities have a career development center which will even help you construct your resume and cover letter to its highest potential. I’d definitely recommend taking advantage of what your university has to offer.

As I mentioned prior, some universities offer courses that will assist with the internship search. Throughout the course they will even help with cover letter and resume building. This is another good option if you feel completely lost with the process—another great networking opportunity, too.

Application Process Create a deadline for yourself to ensure you have the perfect resume and cover letter; this will help smooth the application process. Depending on the company, applications usually go out approximately three months prior to the start date but I’d still check constantly just in case they go out sooner.

Have recommendation letters handy, as well. This is a vital part of the application process. Whether you feel like they’re useful or not, ask at least three people to write you a letter of recommendation. When I was applying for my current internship I asked one of my bosses, a co-worker, and a co-worker I have known practically my entire life. This gave a wide variety of perspective for the hiring manager seeing different sides.

Overall, the application process was extremely simple. Just make sure you have all your documents perfected and looked over. Also, don’t rush filling out the application itself. Overlook every detail ensuring all the right information is being submitted. But also make sure you submit the application in a timely manner, some jobs have a certain quota of applicants and will close applications once the quota is met.

Be efficient, timely, and patient with the process. The next step is a complete waiting game.

The Phone Interview

Hopefully within 2-3 weeks you’ll hear back from the company and be offered an interview. If you get to this step, congratulations! If you don’t, stay positive and don’t be discouraged. The opportunity was just not meant to be. But don’t worry there will be plenty of other opportunities out there, and what’s meant to be will happen.

Honestly, the interview is the most nerve wrecking part—don’t let that scare you away. Just practice, stay calm, and be confident. For your interview you want to make sure you have a quiet space, I usually stick with my bedroom. If the interview timing is at a time where you know other people will be home, make them aware so they will keep the noise levels down. Have all your documents ready: cover letter, resume, and job description. Also, be sure to take notes and have at least three questions prepared for the interviewer(s).

Having your documents ready and in front of you will give you something to look at when you feel panicked. The main document to have prepared would be your resume, prior to the interview I’d recommend taking notes and highlighting key points that relate to the position. Take notes throughout the interview, this will help give you a general background of the position and could be the deciding factor if you would enjoy the job or not. Lastly, have at least three questions prepared to ask. Once they’re done asking you questions, it’s your turn. Having prepared questions allows more of a connection to be made. There are plenty of documents online reciting the best questions to ask an interviewer—use them. A few of my favorites are: “How did you get to your current position?”, “What would be an average day on the job?”, and “What are some key features to this position?”

Throughout the entire interview just make sure to stay calm and professional. Once the interview is complete make sure you thank the interviewer(s), if you have access to the hiring managers email send them a follow up email thanking them for the opportunity—this shows value and interest. The final decision should be made within a week of the initial interview, relax and stay positive during the waiting period.

Hopefully these tips will help score you an awesome internship with an outstanding company. Go beyond your limits and be confident throughout the entire process—confidence is key. Good luck with your search and reach for the stars!