The Most Influential African American Athletes

A Look At the Most Influential and Inspirational African American Athletes

305
DallasObserver.com

February celebrates Black History Month in America. Although one month is not enough to celebrate Black History because it dates back as far as American history, the legacy and impact black athletes have made throughout the decades will always be remembered and honored regardless of what month it is. So with that said, this article will celebrate and honor the ten most influential African American athletes of all time.

1. Tommie Smith & John Carlos

At the 1968 Summer Olympics, hosted in Mexico City, Mexico, the medal ceremony for the 200 meter sprint, first place winner, Tommy Smith and second place winner, John Carlos, posed for pictures in what is now one of the most iconic poses in sports history to date. The two stood with one hand in the air covered with a black leather glove with their heads down while wearing no shoes and Olympic Project for Human Rights badges(OPHR). The black leather gloves, head bow and fist in the air became an "infamous" salute for members of the 1960's Black Panthers Party whose motives were to promote empowerment and equality within African American communities across the U.S. The two chose to wear no shoes to represent poverty stricken Blacks of America and the OPHR badges protested against segregation across the globe.

2. Jackie Robinson

In 1947, Jackie Robinson became the first African American Major League Baseball player after being signed to the Brooklyn Dodgers. During a time when segregation was detrimental to the Black community, Robinson paved a way for black athletes to be allowed and respected in Major League Baseball. Over a decade as a Dodger, Jackie Robinson won Rookie of the Year his first season in 1947, National League MVP in 1949 and helped the Dodgers win a Championship in 1955.

3. Hank Aaron

Most famous for breaking Babe Ruth's homerun record of 714 with a career high of 755, Hank started his career as an Milwaukee Brewer but then later got traded to the Atlanta Braves in 1966. Hank Aaron was inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame in 1982 and on February 5, 1999 the MLB created the Hank Aaron award which is awarded to players who are deemed the best hitters in the American and National league.

4. Wilma Rudolph

WIlma Rudolph was born in St. Bethlehem Tennessee where she was the 20th of 22 children. From birth she faced adversity due to her suffering from a case of polio which forced her to wear a leg brace on her left leg from age 6 to 9. She overcame this issue and went on to become the first American woman to win 3 medals at the 1960's Rome Olympics, winning the 100 meter, 200 meter, and 4x100 meter relay race.

5. Ernie Davis

Ernie Davis became the first African American to win the Heisman Trophy in 1961. Davis played for Syracuse University and was a three time All-American halfback. He also was inducted into the Football Hall of Fame in 1979 and was the first overall pick in the NFL . Unfortunately, Davis lived a short life after dying at the age of 23 due to Leukemia.

6. Michael Jordan

Michael Jordan, also known as "The Jump-Man," "Air Jordan," is the best basketball player of all time and his sneakers are one of the most renowned basketball shoes to date. Jordan made his first debut as a pro-basketball player on September 12, 1983 as the number three draft pick. He went on to win the Chicago Bulls six Championships and earned the award for MVP five times.

7. Kobe Bryant

Kobe Bryant, also known as the Black Mamba, made his career debut as a Los Angeles Laker. At the age of 17 after being traded by the Charlotte Hornets as the 13th draft pick, Kobe signed to the Lakers in 1996. He has won the Lakers five Championship rings and is a 2 time NBA Finals MVP, 18 NBA All-Star. Kobe scored 30,000 career points at the age of 34, making him the youngest player to ever do so and has 4 All-Star MVP awards.

8. Muhammad Ali

Born as Cassius Clay in Louisville, Kentucky, Muhammad Ali became an Olympic Gold Medalist in 1960 at the Rome Olympics at the age of 18 after defeating light-heavyweight champ, Zigzy Pietrzykowski. Aside from his many victories inside the ring, Muhammad Ali is most famous for his battle with the Supreme Court after refusing to be drafted into the Vietnam War, stating "I ain't got no quarrel with no Viet Congs". Shortly after his win against Sonny Liston for the heavyweight championship in 1964, he announced to the world that he was a member of the Nation of Islam after going under the mentorship of Malcolm X. Muhammad Ali's greatest matches were against Joe Fraiser, who defeated Ali in their second encounter but lost 2 out of 3 fights to Ali after their final match in Manilla. Ali is still one of the greatest boxers of all time and can even be accredited for the acronym G.O.A.T.(Greatest of All Time).

9. Mike Tyson

Mike Tyson was born in Brooklyn, New York, but fought out of Upstate New York (Catskill). Tyson became one of the youngest heavyweight champions of the world. At just age 20 Tyson defeated Trevor Berwick in 1986 and went on to win 3 title belts. After defeating James Smith and Tony Tucker,Tyson was the first heavyweight to own all three title belts.

10. Magic Johnson

Marvin "Magic" Johnson was first drafted by the Los Angeles Lakers in 1979 after just playing with Michigan State for two years. Magic Johnson won MVP for the NBA Finals and a championship his rookie year as a Laker and went on to win 4 more championships. However his pro career ended in 1991 after he contracted HIV. That didn't stop Magic from being involved in the NBA. Magic did go on to play one more game with the 1992 Olympic Basketball team, known as The Dream Team, winning an Olympic Gold Medal. Since then Magic has become a successful entrepreneur, philanthropist, broadcaster, and motivational speaker raising awareness of the HIV virus.