Iggy Azalea: Was The Black Community Too Hard On Her?

An analysis of the black community's open aim and fire at the Australian rapper.

84

Oh, Iggy. If only you knew back then what you know now.

Who would've thought that a tall, modelesque Australian woman would cause such an uproar in the black community?

If you're not sure what I'm referring to, let me bring you up to speed.

Last spring, Iggy Azalea reached unthinkable heights of success with her No. 1 smash single, "Fancy." The rapper's success continued with Ariana Grande's peaking "Problem," where she was featured as a guest artist.

Since her career took off, Azalea has not only been criticized, but chastised as a rap artist. Besides the color of her skin, her authenticity has been questioned when it came to her writing her own lyrics and even her faux-Atlanta accent, most vocally and nastily from the evil step-sister of social media, Azealia Banks.

For the past eight months or so, Iggy Azalea's been ridiculed to the point of contemplating suicide, which she revealed in a recent interview on Power 106 LA's "The Cruz Show." Her career has also suffered, after her sure-thing ingles with Britney Spears and Jennifer Hudson didn't take off as anticipated.

So, the question remains: was the black community too hard on Iggy Azalea?

Well, it's a complicated answer, to say the least.

It's no secret that hip-hop was created by and for black people; it represented and reflected the culture, fashion and daily struggles of the modern African American. Gradually, hip-hop has shifted its focus from authenticity to creating music that would sell well. This is why hip-hop is currently filled with a bunch of trap wannabes who mumble over repetitive production, because that's what sells.

In a previous article of mine, I talked about why white artists in hip-hop music have such a hard time breaking into the hip-hop scene. In the case of Iggy Azalea, who doesn't reflect any characteristics of a true hip-hop artist, it's because she's seen as someone who is pretending for a profit.

And rightfully so. Listen to her speaking voice vs. the voice she uses when she raps. They don't sound very similar. Some of her rhymes, I must admit, sound like they were penned by T.I. As a fan, the way he strings his words and phrases together is all too evident in Azalea's flow.

All things considered, I still think we've been a little unfair to Iggy.

I think it's slightly more than a question of her inauthenticity. Other white hip-hop artists such as Macklemore and MGK still can't catch a break from the black community either, and I know for a fact that they respect the art of rap music and its history.

I also don't think it was her intention to be disrespectful. She came to America at 16 years of age with a dollar and a dream, which is a common narrative for immigrants. Unfortunately for her, even her good intentions couldn't save her from the wrath she's had to endure over these last few months.

I'm sorry for everything you've faced, Iggy, but maybe you should've just chosen a different career.

Good luck out there. You're gonna need it.