If You Bring Your Dog to College | The Odyssey Online

If You Bring Your Dog to College

Warning... Viewer discretion is advised (tissues may be needed)

12
If You Bring Your Dog to College
Camille German

Sixteen years of my life were spent running from the beloved “man’s best friend.” I have always been deathly afraid of those precious animals, and my heart hurts to think of the times when I didn’t appreciate their existence. The only way I would ever step foot into a friend’s house is if they promised me that their dog was locked up somewhere. Running has always been a stress reliever for me, and I wouldn’t dare run anywhere besides a treadmill because I was afraid of getting chased by a dog. Literally everywhere I went and everything I did, my mind was in constant “dogwatch” mode. It was a true fear, just ask the stranger nonchalantly walking about the time a random teenage girl (me) jumped on his back while running away from one of the smallest and cutest dogs he has ever laid eyes on.

When I was sixteen years old, I slowly, but surely, began falling in love with one of God’s sweetest creations - dogs. It was a slow process, but it was a process, indeed - and that’s all that mattered. On countless occasions, I would sit in math class scrolling through pictures of puppies, teary eyed, totally distracted from the math lesson. My disgust for these animals began growing into something so sweet. For Christmas my junior year in high school, I was given one of the best gifts I have ever received, my own puppy. Her name would be Nala, and she would be my best friend. At first it was hard, really hard. Waking up through the night to take her out to use the bathroom got old quick, real quick. Exercising her was a pain. Simply the fact that her life completely depended on me was just tough. By her first birthday, she started coming around. She grew up, and she grew in to one of my very best friends. Though I still cry over how sweet she looks in her baby pictures, I would never replace the relationship I have with her now.

When it came time to choose a college, it wasn’t just a decision based on myself, but for my dog too. I knew that there was no way I was going to school without her. So I had to make a few choices. Would I live in a dorm or an apartment? Would I have a roommate or would I live alone? Fortunately, each detail fell right in to place, and I haven’t had to worry over her comfort here at Auburn University one time. My apartment complex is a perfect fit for her, and my roommate loves her just as much as I do. Over the past few months, my dream has become my reality. My dog is now my very best friend, and college deserves most of the credit for that.

Bringing my dog to college was one of the best decisions I have ever made, and here are just a few reasons why:

1. Homes-sickness is almost not even a thing. The saying “Home is where your heart is.” has never been truer. A big piece of my heart is in Auburn. Therefore, there my home is too.
  2. There is nothing better than coming home to the happiest, most care-free pup after a stressful day at school. It makes everything better.
  3. EVERYONE wants to be your friend. Most of the time, when people come over, it is to see my dog, but hey, at least they are coming over.
  4. Loneliness is rarely a thing. You can always count on your dog staring at your every move, just because they love you.

But wait, here is a few more pictures for my fellow tigers:

(Cristi Rowe - Samford)