If We Were Honest During Finals Period

If We Were Honest During Finals Period

"Sometimes you have to work a little so you can ball a lot." - Tom Haverford

19
If We Were Honest During Finals Period

While I was sitting in my last class of my sophomore year of college, my professor threw his head back in pure delight while he practically shouted these words: "It's the greatest time of year again..." I naturally tried to finish his sentence in my head. Summer? Pay day? The Victoria's Secret annual sale? And then he blind sided me with a single six letter word: "finals." I was seriously confused. I would have guessed just about anything, even taxes before I associated finals with smiles. He asked if we were excited? We all nodded in unison; the greatest lie ever told.

So with course evaluations, exams, and the year coming to a close, I decided Its time to be honest about the final exam process.

1. We all start finals period with ridiculously high expectations

High expectations and, more often than not, low motivation

2. We celebrate being free before we actually are..

3. And then were forced back into reality with final exam reviews and countless emails from that one TA, that didn't show themselves during the semester and you weren't positive if they even existed other than on the syllabus, to make sure we're all using our time wisely

but lets be real...

4. Procrastination is inevitable

This is why I am writing this right now and more than likely why you are reading this right now.

5. Sometimes you're just going to have to bribe yourself to get stuff done

6. But "stuff" tends to have nothing to do with your finals

You haven't been pumped to do laundry or clean your apartment all year, and suddenly it seems like the best thing since apple pie.

6. Your idea of "having so much time" slowly changes the closer you get to the actual exam

One week may seem like a long time right now, but it is easy to convince yourself of the same thing three days before, the night before, and the morning of, when you'd rather do anything than study.

7. The you realize you have to cram 14 chapters in

For the class you're struggling in, that doesn't allow extra credit, and isn't multiple choice.

8. There is a brief moment of panic

8. Followed by feeling invincible, walking into the library like..

I can handle the library...I own the library...the library is my (explicit content).

9. But then you'll spend more time finding that outfit that says: I'm here to study but not look like a complete hobo...

Not to mention the time you'll spend finding a spot to sit in the library...

10. You'll begin to question the humanity of the professors who make your exams cumulative

11. Sleep will most likely not be an option, so you will need reinforcements

Its not your fault you motivate yourself to study during the day, by watching countless episodes of that show on Netflix you conveniently got hooked on the last week of class...

12. When your professor asks how studying is going...

If I cry enough will you give me more points?

13. And then its the day of the exam..

14. Remember no matter how hard they may make the exam

Dress well, test well.

15. Pump your self up...

16. Some of you may wing it...

Looking at you 2nd semester seniors.

17. Some will come up short and fall beneath the curve...

18. And others will rise to the occasion, and take the curve with them

19. Just remember to try your best...

You is kind, you is smart, and you is gonna pass this test.

20. And bargain as much as you can...Extra credit is always a viable question..

21. So even if you feel like this after all is said and done and your grades have been posted

22. And you're forced to explain your GPA at all of the family gatherings in the summer (good or bad)

23. You can have peace of mind knowing that you tried your best, you will still be successful, and you should know that things could be worse...

Good luck!