I was...

I was...

Opening up about my experiences

49
I was...

I was 14. I was sitting in math class when you decided it would be a good idea to reach your hand on my thigh and slowly inch your way inside of me with your fingers. I couldn't scream as I didn't want to draw attention to myself. I was scared. I felt so uncomfortable. Soon the bell rang like a saving grace. I gathered my things and ran to the park to meet my mom to get home. On the way home I was silent. I was so ashamed and embarrassed. I still to this day have never told her. We pulled into the driveway, 5 minutes later I raced for the door and for a shower. I figured a shower would wash away the uncomfortable feeling I felt. Unfortunately the shower did not help as to this day I still think about it. The next day I arrived to class and lied to the teacher saying I needed to move seats because I couldn't see the board. If only he knew what really happened yet, I couldn't bare to say it. There was only a month left of school. I figured I could last but it broke me every single day to sit in that classroom with you only 10 feet away from me.

I was 16. Summer before sophomore year of high school. I had my summer job of being a life guard and was ready to make endless memories with my new friends. It was a Wednesday night. I met you at a life guard party. We were enjoying the night and you asked me on a date that Saturday to get frozen yogurt. I was nervous but excited. We had a great time at the yogurt place we stayed until close. I thought to myself this is such a perfect evening. Little did I know 5 minutes later I would be taken advantage of. You said you were going to drive me back to my car. Instead you pulled over behind the Safeway and forced yourself into me. I was scared. You covered my mouth so I couldn't scream as the tears rolled down my face. I got home that night and showered for an hour and did anything I could to distract myself from feeling the way I felt. The next morning my mom asked how my date was. I lied and said great. I didn't want it to ruin my summer of making money and meeting new people. Plus I couldn't bare to tell her what happened to me. I still cannot tell her to this day as I know it would break her.

I was 21. I was driving for Lyft. It was a Saturday night. I got my last ride request before I called it a night. I was getting tired and knew I should head home and get some rest. It was 1:23 am when the last request pinged. I picked you up from a bar and was supposed to take you to your house. On the way there you asked me to stop at the circle k so I did. You returned from inside and sat behind me which was odd as before you were sitting behind the passenger seat. I didn't think much of it. As I was heading to your place you decided to wrap your arms around my neck and slowly reach your way to my boobs. Fear took over my body. I pulled over to the side of the road begging you to get out of my car. You were getting angry. I called the police and reported you to Lyft. You left unharmed but I on the other hand carry this pain in my heart everyday. I gave up my side job of Lyft after that. I lost some income. Some dignity and some trust in men. You ruined it for me. You caused me to reflect on my prior experiences and I'm scarred.

I am now 24. I have yet to share my experiences with family and request nobody else does. I am still broken. I have trust issues. But I am strong. These experiences have impacted my life in so many ways but I got through them. I'm still scared to this day. This has allowed me to let some of the bottled up experiences out but there are still some left to uncover.

I am strong and to anyone that has experienced any type of sexual assault I hear you. I will listen to you. I will be there for you. You are not alone. You are strong.

With love ,

Jennah ❤️